Rats!!!!!

Hendu3270

Odd question here guys. I have a 2007 JK (2-door). Walked out of my garage yesterday after lunch to run back to work. When I cleared the garage door, I saw a rat run across the yard and up into the area of my coil spring (drivers side) and dissappear. I was walking towards the jeep from the passenger side so I didn't actually see where it went after that, but it didn't leave the vehicle. I looked around and couldn't see it anywhere. I'm assuming it went into the hole in the side of the frame. So, my thoughts are either it was just an odd occurance and it ran to the Jeep when it saw me or it actually has made a nest inside the frame! I drive the Jeep every singkle day to work and back, weekends, puilling the boat to the coast during waterfowl season and to go fishing, etc. so it hasn't "sat up". I haven't seen any rats in the neighborhood, but I guess they are always around. It's bugging me to think I could have a nest in there and don't want rats chewing on any electrical wiring on the vehicle. So, I guess a rat could travel the entire frame tube and would probably make a nice little home. What would you do? Fill the frame with water? I don't recall off hand if there's any places for the water to exit and I'd also hate to have the frame tube full of water that I can't get out either. I guess there's really nothing in the tube that water would compromise. Don't have any issues of using poison, except I don't want to 'assume" the rat is dead (I WANT TO KNOW!). Thoughts?

Armydog

Get a cat, a BIG one! And put some moth balls in the Fran rail. Mice and the bigger cousins don't like the smell.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
^^^^. Folks in Phoenix have nasty roof rats. They tried everything. The only thing that worked was cats. Brutally effective. Another suggestion. I've had pack rats take up residence in a vehicle. They like vehicles that are stored and don't move. If it's livin' in your JK bait a trap on the ground under the JK where you saw it enter. If he's in there you'll probably bag it the first night. I'm betting he's long gone though 'cause you drive it every day. Happy hunting.:yup:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rats!! is right!! LOL

As mentioned, I might try using a trap over poison. That or a cat :yup:

dwmgcs

The best answers you have heard already, a cat for elimination and moth balls to deter them. Put a few mothballs in an old sock and tie a knot in it and put a few of them around any area you don't want rats. I get everything from skunks, rats, raccoons and possums coming around my place and the only thing that keeps the critters bigger than the cat can handle is the mothballs, but beware, the mothball method is illegal if that bothers you, the authorities want you to buy dried coyote pee to do it legally. If you do the get a cat don't over feed it or it won't be motivated to catch as much stuff, I have had barn cats forever, they do a great job with rats, mice, moles and gophers but the are not pets, they are workers.

jeeeep

Hooked
if you think it's still in your frame rail, get an air horn - the compressed can type, hold it against the frame opposite end of where you saw the rat enter and blast away. that should get it to come out. I've used that method on squirrels i needed to get out of a tight space....little bastards hate the horn.

jeff_in_rc

I use the sticky traps with good results, have caught 7 rats so far, the neighbors feed the bird and they love the seeds. Another thing is to fill a small bowl with beer and leave it out for them, they will drink the beer and go away to die! Rats and mice can't burp or fart and once they get their fill of beer they explode!

JRied

That guy has a couple anima videos that are hilarious. One I remember is a lizard that ran on water and the gay guy says Jesus has returned or Jesus lizard... Pretty funny

JohnnyD

And one of my buddies named his rig HONEY BADGER!!

I'm still laughing at that vid...." What's he eat for the next week.....cobra!" Lol

Top Bottom