Door removal after a year...

JayKay

Caught the Bug
So the doors haven't been off my JK in over a year. I want to make sure they're gonna come off easily for a trip planned in June. I know there was talk about using a floor jack and some 2x4s to push up on the door. I haven't tried taking them off by hand yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll be stuck. Anybody have any pics of the jack/2x4 trick, don't wanna damage my doors.

So the doors haven't been off my JK in over a year. I want to make sure they're gonna come off easily for a trip planned in June. I know there was talk about using a floor jack and some 2x4s to push up on the door. I haven't tried taking them off by hand yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll be stuck. Anybody have any pics of the jack/2x4 trick, don't wanna damage my doors.

I just applied some WD-40 and worked the doors back and forth to get them loose and the popped right off.

go to YouTube and google Jeep JK door removal

HoosierWolf

"I just applied some WD-40 and worked the doors back and forth to get them loose and the popped right off."

I did the same thing.

mackey

The first time I removed the doors after a North Idaho winter they were stuck big time. I also sprayed WD-40 and wiggled the doors but they still would not budge. I then took a punch tool and stuck it under the opening in the hinge where the screws are removed. After a couple good upward smacks with a mallet and more wiggling of the doors, I was able to remove them. Hope this helps.

There is a video of a guy using ratchet straps to get his doors off. I think that would be better than using a punch and hammer or a floor jack and 2x4's

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I just applied some WD-40 and worked the doors back and forth to get them loose and the popped right off.

go to YouTube and google Jeep JK door removal

I'll try that first. I know last time I took them off I sprayed PB Blaster down the hinges and had to pull with all my might to get them off and that's when I removed them once every few months.

rob_p

"I just applied some WD-40 and worked the doors back and forth to get them loose and the popped right off."

I did the same thing.

This.

it was a year for me also and after this winter they were very reluctant come off.

WD40 and working the doors helped, although the next day I had bruises on my forearms and thighs!

This.

it was a year for me also and after this winter they were very reluctant come off.

WD40 and working the doors helped, although the next day I had bruises on my forearms and thighs!

^ Yup. My thighs were black and blue after taking mine off for the first time this year. Making me seriously reconsider the value proposition of those $50 derlin bushings.

rob_p

I did pick up some lithium grease for when they went back on. If that doesn't help I'll get the bushings.

(driving around all winter without the hinge nuts in didn't help any)

I did pick up some lithium grease for when they went back on. If that doesn't help I'll get the bushings.

(driving around all winter without the hinge nuts in didn't help any)

I hit the hinge holes and the posts with lithium grease before putting them back on last week :yup:

I also didn't bother putting the hinge nuts back on over the winter. Probably should have.

BlackHawk08jk

Mine are always kinda sticky from dirt and such I just wiggle them back and forth while applying upward pressure and they come right out. I would worry the 2x4 trick or ratchet strap trick could bend the bottom of the door.

Top Bottom