Question about compressor options for lockers and onboard air

DBats

Hey gang so I'll be taking advantage of that deal ARB has going right now with the free compressor with an air locker. I know the compressor that comes with the deal is the lower end one if you buy a single locker but I wanted to know if anyone has adapted this system to be used to supply air to the locker and be able to do stuff like air up tires after a day on the trails. I know I could buy a hose with an air chuck and hook it up to the compressor itself, but with a duty cycle of 35% airing up 4 tires would take a while, has anyone added an auxiliary air tank to this system to make it work? And if so how/where did you mount everything?

I'll eventually look into getting a twin built for this purpose, but since I'm getting the compressor right now for free I figured I'd see if I could make it work.

USMCvet

Banned
Hey gang so I'll be taking advantage of that deal ARB has going right now with the free compressor with an air locker. I know the compressor that comes with the deal is the lower end one if you buy a single locker but I wanted to know if anyone has adapted this system to be used to supply air to the locker and be able to do stuff like air up tires after a day on the trails. I know I could buy a hose with an air chuck and hook it up to the compressor itself, but with a duty cycle of 35% airing up 4 tires would take a while, has anyone added an auxiliary air tank to this system to make it work? And if so how/where did you mount everything?

I'll eventually look into getting a twin built for this purpose, but since I'm getting the compressor right now for free I figured I'd see if I could make it work.

I took advantage of that deal and am running front and rear ARB locker. Also, I have a 2.5 gallon tank plumbed in so I can air up my tires after I hit the trails. The compressor works great. I have it mounted around the master cylinder. My switches for the lockers and the compressor are in a Daystar panel below the radio/Nav.

DBats

I took advantage of that deal and am running front and rear ARB locker. Also, I have a 2.5 gallon tank plumbed in so I can air up my tires after I hit the trails. The compressor works great. I have it mounted around the master cylinder. My switches for the lockers and the compressor are in a Daystar panel below the radio/Nav.

Nice! Where did mount the tank? and what mount did you go with for the compressor? I know EVO makes one that mounts right around that area.

dwmgcs

The small one really isn't what you want for airing up tires, it is really only rated for engaging the lockers. I have the next one up that you get when you buy two lockers and it works pretty good for airing up at the end of the day but it gets pretty hot as well and I tend to give it a drench with water a couple of times while airing up. I'm thinking USMCvet might have the same unit I have because I think he got both lockers at the same time and may have gotten the little bit bigger unit like I have, don't know for sure, he will probably chime in here and let us know though.

USMCvet

Banned
The small one really isn't what you want for airing up tires, it is really only rated for engaging the lockers. I have the next one up that you get when you buy two lockers and it works pretty good for airing up at the end of the day but it gets pretty hot as well and I tend to give it a drench with water a couple of times while airing up. I'm thinking USMCvet might have the same unit I have because I think he got both lockers at the same time and may have gotten the little bit bigger unit like I have, don't know for sure, he will probably chime in here and let us know though.

You are right. That is the one I have.

DBats

Well dang! Yeah I'm getting the smaller one, I know its not the most ideal for inflating tires but maybe someone has figured out a way to make it all work! Just trying to make the most of something that's free, hah!

Ironwagon

I ran the small compressor for years, and there really is no way to compensate for the small stature. :D Auxiliary tanks will drain in no time and then it's back to overworking the ARB pump again. I'll give it credit though - it was a tough little pump. I eventually switched my ARBs over to CO2 and kept the ARB as backup.

DBats

Yeah, just can't compensate for that 30% duty cycle. It was a pipedream! But then again, I can't complain about free stuff!

g00se04

I also took advantage of that deal but called northridge4x4 and they were able to upgrade me to the high output arb CKMA12 compressor. I only had to pay the difference between the two compressors.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
The 1 gallon tank wont do anything for you for airing up as mentioned, but it is good for air tools...gives you just a little buffer so if you're oscillating the on/off of a tool the compressor doesn't have to work quite as hard to keep up. That's why I got a small 1 gal tank..just for a tiny assist for tools. But when you're pushing the compressors as much as you have to in order to air up, only a larger tank will really help.

DBats

Thanks for the replies/suggestions everyone. I'm just going to use the free small compressor to run the lockers for now and save my pennies to buy the bigger one down the road.

Top Bottom