TeraFlex 2.5" coils vs JKU Rubicon coils... just FYI

dan3jeeps

Couple days ago on my 2007 JK I swapped out my JKU Rubi coils and 2 inch BB with the TF 2.5" coil lift. (I did not reuse the BB spacers on the TF coils). I was surprised that my ride height actually went down a tad more than 1 inch all around (measured at the bottom of the factory fender flares). I was hoping for at least the same amount of lift if not a little more as I have heard very positive things about JKs usually getting close to 3" from the TF 2.5 coils.

The JKU Rubi coils (18/59s) measure 18.25" fronts and 14.5" rears. The TF 2.5" coils measure 18" fronts and 15.25" rears.

The TF coils do give a better ride.

Front
IMG_2488.jpg
Rear
IMG_2491.jpg

The nice shiny black coils are the Teraflex coils.

The TF coils DID level out some of the front end rake (Warn winch and steel bumper) compared to the JKU coils and BB.

I cannot remember exactly how much room I had with the JKU coils and BB set up between bumpstops but now I am down to about 2 to 2.5" before the bumpstops contact, front and rear. That seems like a bit less than what I would expect.

Now, I just need to order and install 1 inch spacers to get back to the ride height I originally had. I am thinking the 2" BB I just removed would be too much for my needs but I'll probably try it if the 1 inch spacers don't get it done.

After seeing this, I might suggest to those looking at these two options go with the generally less expensive JKU Rubicon coils and spacers for a total of about 3-3.5" lift over the TF 2.5" coils on a JK. The TF coils cost me full price (plus the additional expense of more spacers to regain the lift amount I had) but the 2" BB and JKU coils ran me just over $100.00 as brand new take offs.

I'm just wanting a decent lift for 35's and some articulation. Currently the 285/70/17s I have with the TF 2.5" coils fill the fender wells. I do NOT have room for 35's with the TF 2.5" coil lift without spacers.

Jeeps... the never ending project...

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Just trim your fenders and you'll have tons of room. And it's free.

Here is my sons 2dr on JKU springs
35" tires and no rubbing after trimming pinch seams and rock rails.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431716307.766930.jpg

dan3jeeps

Those trimmed fender flares look good. Practical and aesthetic.

:D

Might have to look into that.

I double checked the part number on my TF coils and they correspond with the correct height. Hmmm.

Top Bottom