Carbon Fiber Bumper review

2Cross

Caught the Bug
About a month ago swapped out my full width steel front bumper for a GenRight carbon fiber stubby.

Install was straightforward as long as you don't mind cutting metal. As usual, GenRight instructions usually leave you with questions, but fortunately they have a YouTube video on how to install one of their front bumpers. The video was much more helpful than their written instructions. Took me just over two hours to install.

As far as trail experience with the carbon fiber bumper. It suits my style of driving well. I hit several ledges at slow speed and it held up well with minimal scratching and it didn't break. For my twice a year trip to Moab it will hold up well for years to come and I lost 100 pounds off the front of my rig. Could actually feel it was lighter when going over speed bumps. Winch now sits about an inch lower than when it was in my AEV front bumper.

I would not recommend this bumper for anyone who plays in the rocks a lot. If I had this bumper on when I ran the rubicon last year it would be in pieces now. I will not be installing the carbon fiber rear bumper since I tend to drag my rear bumper often and that's a lot of money to waste.

Pics to follow.

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Front view before trail ride.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431721377.545238.jpg

Pics after running metal masher.
Carbon didn't break but scratched and is white in color.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431721432.851450.jpg

Hobolobo

Thats pretty cool looking. I've never seen a carbon fiber jeep bumper. Any reason you went with carbon fiber other than weight?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Always liked the looks of the Genright bumpers. Good to know the CF holds up for small impacts. Most of the time it cracks.

Mtbhjm

That's cool that they are making carbon fiber bumpers now. I have a lot of experience with carbon fiber in bikes (the kind you pedal) and I must say that it is an incredibly resilient material. I understand that taking a rock hit on a several thousand pound jeep is different than on a 20 pound bike, but I would guess that the carbon layup on the bumper is much thicker and stronger than the carbon on bikes. With that being said, I have found carbon to actually be stronger than aluminum because it is able to flex and absorb impact rather than dent and compromise the frame of the bike (however when carbon does break it can be pretty nasty, although it is repairable). I've taken direct hits on rocks and trees at 15-25mph and never had more than a scratch on the paint. I would be really interested to see how your bumper holds up to long term trail abuse, but I think it should do very well. Your bumper looks great and the weight savings are definitely a good bonus so I hope it works out.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
That's cool that they are making carbon fiber bumpers now. I have a lot of experience with carbon fiber in bikes (the kind you pedal) and I must say that it is an incredibly resilient material. I understand that taking a rock hit on a several thousand pound jeep is different than on a 20 pound bike, but I would guess that the carbon layup on the bumper is much thicker and stronger than the carbon on bikes. With that being said, I have found carbon to actually be stronger than aluminum because it is able to flex and absorb impact rather than dent and compromise the frame of the bike (however when carbon does break it can be pretty nasty, although it is repairable). I've taken direct hits on rocks and trees at 15-25mph and never had more than a scratch on the paint. I would be really interested to see how your bumper holds up to long term trail abuse, but I think it should do very well. Your bumper looks great and the weight savings are definitely a good bonus so I hope it works out.

I ride MTB a lot as well and have had the same experience.
My thoughts on the carbon were if I was in a crash it would break and I could either patch it or buy a new carbon fiber skin. The bumper is essentially a winch mount with a carbon skin.

It held up fine to multiple bumps when approaching ledges which is what it will see from time to time.

Top Bottom