Me again, problem again

JRied

Hey I need help again? WTF is new right lol decided to check under my jk to see if my new skid system had any beauty marks being that I tore a control arm mount off and I made an unfortunate(?) discovery. Idk what this greasy oil is. I checked my oil level and transmissions fluid and there full. So was all the other ones that wouldn't really have anything to do with this (power steering, brake fluid, etc etc). Was hard to find the source but at first it looked like my oil pan had a leak but the seal, bolts, and drain plug are all clear. It had a lot there as you can see in pictures. Idk proper terms so forgive my noobness but what looks like where my motor and trans connect is leaking or maybe that's just the trans, again idk. You can see the seam between this part I refer to is also greasy. Any idea what's going on? Also looks like the new yoke I installed on transfer case leaked. I torqued it down to 160 ft lb torque and use rcv silicon on edge and locktite on threads, but you can see the splatter above it in the pic. That's problemo número dos. But that I know what's wrong, or I think. Here are some pics.
PS thanks wayalife crew and members you guys are awesome

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732028.877969.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732060.818376.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732072.170033.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732082.388197.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732092.918809.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732104.690177.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732120.085187.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732133.296503.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732146.029663.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732167.761137.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732183.123444.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431732193.588190.jpg

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Looks to me like you either have an oil leak from the oil pan nut or the gasket. From there it looks to be spreading to the bell housing. Probably has nothing to do with the trans.

I would say bell housing. On the pic of the driveshaft it look like your driveshaft is throwing grease but that's a different issue than the 1st pics

JRied

Ok just drove home (about 30min) and jumped under my car while everything is hot and juicy. Found 2 leak spots. No idea what it's called tho. The oil pan, plug, and seal are all perfectly fine. The problem is much higher

This is driver side. Here is a close up and a far away picture where you can see corner edge of oil pan skid, trans skid, and in top right corner the leak spot

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431735055.699981.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431735133.973453.jpg

Here is passenger side. Same setup. Close up and zoom out so you can get an idea of how high up.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431735229.442795.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431735249.334026.jpg

JRied

i would say take the skids off power wash it, to get a better idea of a location.

The location is right where those two bolts are. One on either side, I could see it seeping out there. I am going to clean it really good tomorrow tho.

JRied

So I'm assuming that is the bell housing. What would cause that to leak? I will take it to dealership since its under warranty

With any leak, what you see may not be the origin point of the leak. Any fluid leak takes the path of least resistance on its way to the bottom. If it's not obvious where the escape point is for the fluid leaking, i always go to my inspection mirror and a flashlight. Follow the wet all the way to the highest point and start looking for potential leak points there. This has worked for me in almost every hydraulic leak scenario in my aircraft maintenance days. Good luck!

JRied

With any leak, what you see may not be the origin point of the leak. Any fluid leak takes the path of least resistance on its way to the bottom. If it's not obvious where the escape point is for the fluid leaking, i always go to my inspection mirror and a flashlight. Follow the wet all the way to the highest point and start looking for potential leak points there. This has worked for me in almost every hydraulic leak scenario in my aircraft maintenance days. Good luck!

Ok will do. Thanks for the knowledge. If like to find where it is even tho I'm handing it off to the dealer soon

Pyro1415

Before driving to the dealer I would check your fluids... Might suck if you ruined something on your way. Out of curiosity was it a factory mount you tore or an aftermarket?

JRied

Before driving to the dealer I would check your fluids... Might suck if you ruined something on your way. Out of curiosity was it a factory mount you tore or an aftermarket?

All my fluids are full. And the lower control arm mount I ripped off was factory.

JRied

Well done lol.

Lol if I rip off my replacement that would be something. Also the jeep came with a shit lift from the dealer so they can't pin it on me lifting it. I did take out the pos lift and put a better one but that shouldn't be an issue

JRied

Update

It was a rear main seal and I dropped it off and had it replaced free of cost. Took about 5 days....

Re-Update

Still leaked from the bottom but not from the top down along the edges as before.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436553830.966939.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436553860.182490.jpg

Dropped it off last Wednesday to have it fixed again at the dealership.

Called today because I was curious about when it would be ready since I'm leaving for a week to New Orleans. They told me they pulled it apart and put it together 3 times already and still there's a leak that there having trouble identifying and that something else is going on in there. Very frustrating.

Top Bottom