Front drive shaft throwing grease

TeamFaust

As stated, boot torn, just a matter of time before crud gets into it and it fails. Pretty common for the front shafts when you lift and get a lot of flex on the trail. You will want to order an aftermarket drive shaft converting to regular U-joints instead of the factory CV type. Pretty easy and straight forward swap. Look for a Coast or similar quality replacement drive shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I order the 1350 driveshafts do I need any adaptors or anything else for the install?

As mentioned, your CV boot is torn from the excessive angle that it was sitting in. It's just a matter of time before the bearings inside get fried. You really do need a new shaft. The 1350 should come with new yokes to replace your factory flanges.

Spudcannons

As mentioned, your CV boot is torn from the excessive angle that it was sitting in. It's just a matter of time before the bearings inside get fried. You really do need a new shaft. The 1350 should come with new yokes to replace your factory flanges.

Ordered front and rear!

Spudcannons

Any idea if it will last through a 5 day wheeling trip? The new drive shafts wont be here before then. 850 miles there and back. Should I just reschedule?

Wideglide10

850 miles is a ways. I guess if you had to could take it off for the driving portion and install when you get to the trail head. Might buy you a little time.

MICP3309

Are we talking catastrophic failure/transfer case damage or the driveshaft is just toast?

Just drive shaft.. When you wheel, you'll get mud and dirt in the joint of the shaft. Then you'll hear all sorts of grinding like rocks and marbles.. It's all in the drive shaft. That's what mine did. As soon as I took it out of 4lo and back into 2hi sound was gone, and no problems for drive home. Just know the joint the boot covered up is toast!

Spudcannons

Just drive shaft.. When you wheel, you'll get mud and dirt in the joint of the shaft. Then you'll hear all sorts of grinding like rocks and marbles.. It's all in the drive shaft. That's what mine did. As soon as I took it out of 4lo and back into 2hi sound was gone, and no problems for drive home. Just know the joint the boot covered up is toast!

Sweet. I have my shafts coming in one day late so I'm down to wreck this one I may also grab a used one in the way down. I found 2 for 60 bucks.

Spudcannons

Even if it's on the transfer case flange?

MICP3309

Even if it's on the transfer case flange?

Yes, that's the boot that tears. That's where mine was.. The joint is before the flange that attaches to the flange of the t-case. The joint is bad, and when if bends during flex you'll hear it. It will still bend. Now I'm not saying go balls out with it, I did some mild / moderate stuff.. It started to Make a racket, and then I replaced it upon my return home. Here's what mine looked like :

Edit: yea bring a spare for 60$. That's what I did incase that joint failed and I broke it..

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432008798.460479.jpg

Last edited:

Spudcannons

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks! Mine doesn't look that bad yet just a light splattering so far must be the early stages.

Top Bottom