Citizen Band Radio help please

bladeolson

I want to get a CB in my 15 Rubicon Unlimited... I have a few questions..

- are the integrated mic/radios any good?

- I am rather a gadget geek.. What's the "top of line" CB? Does it even matter?

-Mounting.. I saw rugged ridge mounts.. Are those good? Seems easy to install and not requiring drilling , but seems it may obstruct mirror. Thoughts?

- Antenna... Firestick seems good. I like this fat looking stick from visual point of view. I'm confused about length though.

- wiring it up.... Saw some videos on YouTube but all I could find looks like Hack jobs. I want super clean install. Recommendations on install or a shop that does this well would be appreciated.

Sorry for tons of questions I am a total newbie!

Blade

Kalums

Eddie did an awesome write up on Project JK on how to install but I can't really help with the rest sry

MarkW13

I ran my antenna off the tailgate. Evo makes a nice bracket. You can run the wire out the vent or through the capped hole next to the vent (pass side). Turned out pretty nice.

Cobra seems to be a very reliable brand for the full size radios with lots of options. I wouldn't look past the hand mic controlled units either. They don't have the same versatility as the larger models, but they mount a lot easier.

TLW1022

I mounted mine off the Footmans Loop, about $5 worth of hardware from Home Depot. All wiring is hidden, no need for external speaker, easy to get to & looks cool :thumb:

This CB is small & works very well. Bigger CB's do have more features to them but for me aren't needed, the only thing I would like to have is a built in meter but that's only really needed at set up.

This one has a outlet for PA Speaker that I mounted behind the front bumper, it also has a channel 9/19 button for quick access to those channels. It has been rained on several times with no issues, all vent holes are on the bottom, if I do need to replace it down the road it cost @$50

Attachments

• CB.jpg
    CB.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 218
I got a Cobra LX 29 and mounted it on a Strikeforce Zebra mount bracket off the footman loop over the mirror. I ran the power and antenna wires under the plastic windshield molding, down the right A pillar. The power wires go through the firewall above the door hinge and then to the battery. Antenna coax is routed down to the floor and to the tail gate along the passenger side under the plastic trim. Zip tied the coax to the existing wire for the taillight on the tire carrier. Attached a 4ft Firestick to a Rugged Ridge mount bracket on the spare tire mount.

image.jpg

image.jpg

bladeolson

Thanks for the input guys. I will see if I can find the instructions Eddie made.

As for the footman loop, that seems to be a great place to mount.

Does it get into the way of view?

Thanks for the input guys. I will see if I can find the instructions Eddie made.

As for the footman loop, that seems to be a great place to mount.

Does it get into the way of view?

Not at all. I adjusted the mirror mount down as far as it will go and it just clears the radio. It does touch the mirror but not enough for me to worry at all. It's a tight fit but it works.

The rugged ridge mount is the same idea. Works great above the mirror.

Attachments

• 1431899690806.jpg
    1431899690806.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 202

Jackal01

I have a Uniden that I just screwed into the plastic. I don't kind drilling holes.
1431900667994.jpg

I bought a Uniden wireless mic that I ran to just above the driver side speaker. Pic might be sideways. Apologies.
1431900818512.jpg

chipper

Anybody using the Evo mount? I'm looking at getting it and was wonder what side I want the antenna mounted on. The driver or passenger side of the spare tire mount. They offer both.

I would say the passenger side. You wouldn't want it right behind you!

With these mounts it's really just about 8" or so off center in either direction so I'm not sure why you would say that.

You can see from this shot how close to the brake light mine is. It would be the same distance on the driver side.

image.jpg

mattsat

My parents have the Cobra C75 WX in their RV. It works pretty well actually, it would have better range than some of the other people in our caravan.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
My parents have the Cobra C75 WX in their RV. It works pretty well actually, it would have better range than some of the other people in our caravan.

They do work well if your antenna is tuned. I ran one for awhile, but honestly a regular radio just works a lot better. Most the speaker is the issue with the 75. But you can't beat it for compactness.

Top Bottom