How do I take out a front locker

I have a auto engaging locker installed on my Dana 30 with 5.13 gears from the previous owner and I want to take it out. What do I need to do it? How do I do it?
Thanks in advance

seanb123

Well the locker is the carrier where all the spider gears are so you'll need a whole new carrier and you need to set the correct backlash and things of that sort. Why would you want to do this?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If it's auto engaging it could be a lock rite type locker that just replaces your spider gears. In which case you should just need new spider gears I believe.

bkac

Caught the Bug
If it's a lunchbox locker then it's a simple fix. Just pull the pin and locker then get new spider gears and a new pin and sell it to someone else. Putting a lunch box locker in a front axle without manual hubs is a bad idea. This is a very easy thing to fix! Good luck.

You'll have to pull the front axles out a little bit to get the lockrite out.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Or find someone to trade. I had one in my yj. It wasn't too bad. It was a yj though and not a jk and it had a 4cyl and 4.10s.

computeruser6

Well the locker is the carrier where all the spider gears are so you'll need a whole new carrier and you need to set the correct backlash and things of that sort. Why would you want to do this?

A lunchbox locker fits inside the carrier. New spider gears don't cost much. A lunchbox locker in a Dana 30 or 44 can easily tear the carrier in half so it's a bad idea anyway. $95 from ECGS.

TeamFaust

Post a thread in the "Wanted" list likely someone has some laying around that they'd like to get out of the garage. Also watch here or on local Craigslist for a recent complete D30 axle -- might get luck and find someone has recently bought a rig that they've upgraded.

Wethy

Is it even wise to install a locker in a D30? I know for instance 5.13s with a locker is fairly unlikely to survive very long but what about say 4.56 or 4.88s with an arb? Taking the price factor away would it do more harm than good? Not that i would lock the d30 myself but others.might have this question and i am curious myself

dwmgcs

Is it even wise to install a locker in a D30? I know for instance 5.13s with a locker is fairly unlikely to survive very long but what about say 4.56 or 4.88s with an arb? Taking the price factor away would it do more harm than good? Not that i would lock the d30 myself but others.might have this question and i am curious myself

I ran a locked D30 with 5.13"s for a long time without any issues and I ran it hard, I did finally upgrade after eight years but it's still in perfect shape taking up space in my shop.

Top Bottom