Got a rust problem. What do I use?

Cavscout263

So I have some rust on the undercarriage of my 2011 Jeep wrangler unlimited Sahara. It is the consequences of living in the Midwest with lots of snow and salt. I bought it like this with intentions of doing it my self (go to a couple grand knocked off;D when I bought it.)
So my question is how or what is the best way to remove the rust? What products can I use in my garage with out sandblasting it.
I was reading about por15, chasie saver, vinegar? What do I use?

Anybody ever use Fluid Film?http://www.kellsportproducts.com

It looks promising, but haven't tried it.

I've used Fluid Film in aviation maintenance. In my experience the product I used was more of a water displacing agent and not a rust remover. It works well but needs re-application periodically. If there are different Fluid Film products specifically for rust removal, I haven't seen or used those.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

xrocknrollx

Anyone use the POR15 product? Results and recommendations please....

It works great if you spend the time to properly prep it. Just make sure if you decide to go the pot15 route you cannot cut any corners or it will end up not working.

They also make a uv resistant top coat that I have used with success on bumpers.

sassmouth

So I have some rust on the undercarriage of my 2011 Jeep wrangler unlimited Sahara. It is the consequences of living in the Midwest with lots of snow and salt. I bought it like this with intentions of doing it my self (go to a couple grand knocked off;D when I bought it.)
So my question is how or what is the best way to remove the rust? What products can I use in my garage with out sandblasting it.
I was reading about por15, chasie saver, vinegar? What do I use?

Living in the Midwest as well, I usually spray down the undercarriage during the winter as needed to rinse off road salt build-up.

For exposed surfaces, I use a wire brush to remove loose rust and spray a rust converter like VHT SP229 Rust Convertor or Loctite® Extend Rust Neutralizer. For the inside of frame tubes and on some surfaces I use Fluid Film like others have mentioned. I repaint areas as needed too.

Its all about controlling the rust as best you can.

Top Bottom