Whats this mean?

Papa Joe

I have a leak in my front axle. Also making a noise. Is my gears?

Attachments

• 1431973369762.jpg
    1431973369762.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 252

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Pinon seal is leaking. Could be low enough that gears are making noise. Maybe not. Either way, check your fluid regularly and add as needed until you get it fixed.

Kalums

More than likely just the front axle pinion seal, couple hours to fix, you should check your gear oil tho. Make sure it's not low sometimes those seals leak like crazy but I personally haven't seen an axle go dry from that seal but in theory it could

The minor rebuild kit which has the crush seal is about $150 or so. The biggest expense is finding a shop that does not charge you an arm and leg for labor.

dwmgcs

If it's just the seal, it will cost about $25 for the seal and all you need to do is drain the oil, disconnect the drive shaft at the pinion, remove the pinion yoke, pull the old seal, clean up the area and install a new seal, replace the pinion yoke and torque it down to 150 ft. lbs. and reconnect your drive shaft, pretty simple really if you have a good torque wrench available.

Papa Joe

Sounds like I should have all the tools. Too bad that gear oil smells like crap tho! Last time I washed all my rags and my washer smelled bad for about 2 - 3 weeks. Im throwing thise rags away this time.

dwmgcs

Sounds like I should have all the tools. Too bad that gear oil smells like crap tho! Last time I washed all my rags and my washer smelled bad for about 2 - 3 weeks. Im throwing thise rags away this time.

You may need a puller to get the pinion yoke out and when you reassemble, put some Halomar or silicone on the splines of the yoke to keep oil from seeping out between the splines and the yoke.

JohnnyD

You may need a puller to get the pinion yoke out and when you reassemble, put some Halomar or silicone on the splines of the yoke to keep oil from seeping out between the splines and the yoke.

^^^this^^^

My flanges were solid needed puller, was afraid I'd do damage, did autozone it's free rental

Top Bottom