EVO Tire Carrier DIY Rotopax Mount Installation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a lot of people ask me how I installed a 4 gallon Rotopax onto my EVO Tire carrier and because it really is so easy to do, I hadn't bothered to do a write-up for it or, at least, not until now. Below is a list of the things you will need as well as instructions to help you to install your own mount as well and for cheap!

What you will need
(4) 1/4" x 3/4" Bolts
(4) 1/4" Washers
(4) 1/4" Nylock Nuts
• 7/16" Socket & Wrench
• Drill
• Unibit or 1/4" Drill Bit
• Center Punch
• Duct Tape

Instructions
1. Hold your Rotopax mount up against center face on your EVO tire carrier near the top where your license plate would normally be mounted to. Using the mount as a template mark the holes you will need to drill out with a center punch.
IMG_1384.jpg

2. Set the Rotopax mount aside and then, using a hand drill and a unibit (or 1/4" drill bit), drill out the 4 holes you just marked off.
IMG_1385.jpg

3. Apply a small piece of duct tape to one side of a 7/16" box wrench to help hold the nylock nut in place as shown.
IMG_1386.jpg

4. Loosely install the Rotopax mount onto your EVO Tire Carrier by inserting 2 bolts and washers through the 2 lower mounting holes. Then, carefully insert your wrench holding the nut down through the top of the tire carrier and secure it in place using another 7/16" wrench or socket.
IMG_1388.jpg

5. Using a pair of 7/16" wrenches or socket, secure the top of the mount using 2 bolts, washers and nylock nuts.
IMG_1389.jpg

6. Place your Rotopax onto your new mount and lock it in place.
IMG_1390.jpg

That's it, that's all there is to it. Super easy just like I said. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now, I know there are a lot of you who want to know what to do with your license plate and really, I don't know if there's one good answer to this. I know some people have just zip tied their plate to the Rotopax, others have zip tied it to the cross member but for me, I just used a couple of old joist straps I had lying around in the garage and fashioned them into a mount that I could secure to 2 of the hitch receiver mounting bolts on the cross member. Below are a few shots of what I ultimately made. Hopefully, these pics will give you an idea of what you can do.

Here are a few shots of all the nuts, bolts and joist straps I used to make my license plate mount. Please note that I did have to drill 4 holes and I did have to fashion one of the joist straps by bending it in multiple places to make it all work out. Normally, both straps are flat. The 2 large nuts are just left over factory ones that require an 18mm wrench I had laying around.
IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

Here you can see how I'm securing the license plate mount to 2 of the hitch receiver mount bolts on the cross member.
IMG_1397.jpg

You will need an 18mm wrench to secure it in place.
IMG_1398.jpg

When all is said and done.
IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

In hindsight, you could easily do this with just one joist strap or piece of metal as opposed to doing what I did. And, if I have the time, I will most likely make a new simplified mount in this way.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I asked about this on one of your Instagram photos, thank you sooo much! Not complicated at all, thanks so much Eddie!!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Thanks Eddie, I've been wondering how to do this for a while now. Need to figure out if the plate that low is okay here first.

MICP3309

Thanks Eddie, I've been wondering how to do this for a while now. Need to figure out if the plate that low is okay here first.

As long as you can read the state name, that location is ok in PA. It is still above a stock car's heights, and higher than a trailer too. The big thing as that you can read the state name.

PLucas

Banned
Great write-up. I have a 2 gallon Rotopax my self same location, and I still have fuel from Nevada (5 month old), I left it intentionally to test it and it has swollen some… Its not enough to make me worried about it tho, and every now and then, I release the pressure.

IMG_3043-1.jpg

QRS

I might never need this since I'm not planning on going over 35s and don't have the Evo carrier on the build plan but if something I've learned so far is that never say never... Haha

Great writeup as usual Eddie, thanks.

Top Bottom