Question for the 37"+ crowd

Ah2014jk

I'm wondering, for those of you with bigger tires, what is your up and down travel? The reason is I am having a heck of a time finding the size shocks I want in the brand I want. Right now if I use the Rancho9000 99931 in the front I have great up but only 3 down and if I convert the top and run 99927 I have 6.5 down but only 3 up. I have about 4 up and 6.5 down in the rear right now.
Any thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much lift are you running on your Jeep? Is it safe to assume you are running the proper amount of bump stop extensions which would be approximately the same height as you have lift? You should be at full bump before your shocks bottom out and that's should help you to determine how much up travel you need. Being that you're running 37's, 3" of up travel sounds like the shocks you're running are too long. But, that's just me.

Ah2014jk

How much lift are you running on your Jeep? Is it safe to assume you are running the proper amount of bump stop extensions which would be approximately the same height as you have lift? You should be at full bump before your shocks bottom out and that's should help you to determine how much up travel you need. Being that you're running 37's, 3" of up travel sounds like the shocks you're running are too long. But, that's just me.

I am running 4" of lift ( evo plush rides ) and 40". My thought was I should have a little over 4" up travel. I just am sitting at about 3.25" of up so thought I would ask

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am running 4" of lift ( evo plush rides ) and 40". My thought was I should have a little over 4" up travel. I just am sitting at about 3.25" of up so thought I would ask

Well, how much space do you have between your bump stop extension and your jounce pad when compressed? That should tell you how much up travel you really have and what you really need.

Ah2014jk

Apparently the question is not coming across very clear. I know how much up travel I have. The question is should I switch the shocks out for a little more. The shocks themselves will only allow for 3.25 inches so it doesn't matter what my bump stop length is ( yes as far as running correctly or longevity I know it does ). What I wondered is what are people running on their rigs ... 4 up 3 up 5 up ?? And more down I assume

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently the question is not coming across very clear. I know how much up travel I have. The question is should I switch the shocks out for a little more. The shocks themselves will only allow for 3.25 inches so it doesn't matter what my bump stop length is ( yes as far as running correctly or longevity I know it does ). What I wondered is what are people running on their rigs ... 4 up 3 up 5 up ?? And more down I assume

Apparently I'm an idiot. Why would you need more up travel that would your bump stops physically allow?

MarkW13

Raise your upper shock mounts or buy shorter shocks. Longer shocks have a longer compressed length. Up travel is usually set to a minimum for rock crawlers. Just enough to absorb road impacts.

As Eddie said, your shocks are too long.

Last edited:

Ah2014jk

Raise your upper shock mounts or buy shorter shocks. Longer shocks have a longer compressed length. Up travel is usually set to a minimum for rock crawlers. Just enough to absorb road impacts.

As Eddie said, your shocks are too long.

Ok so then the original question remains. How much should your up travel on the shock be if 3.25 is to short?
I thought this was a fairly simple question. Can someone who has 40" tires actually go see how much up travel they run ?

To answer eddies question you wouldn't want much longer stroke than you bump stops would allow. I am saying that the bump is there to stop 2 things only. One- to stop from shoving the tire into the body and two- to stop the shock from bottoming out on compression. If I am running shocks that only allow for 3.25" and I bump correctly then try are doing their job but if I should be running shocks that allow for 4-5 " up then wouldn't that be smarter to change out the shocks and bump correctly for them?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Did you ever get longer brake lines? Last I remember you have never cycled your suspension.

computeruser6

Ok so then the original question remains. How much should your up travel on the shock be if 3.25 is to short?
I thought this was a fairly simple question. Can someone who has 40" tires actually go see how much up travel they run ?

To answer eddies question you wouldn't want much longer stroke than you bump stops would allow. I am saying that the bump is there to stop 2 things only. One- to stop from shoving the tire into the body and two- to stop the shock from bottoming out on compression. If I am running shocks that only allow for 3.25" and I bump correctly then try are doing their job but if I should be running shocks that allow for 4-5 " up then wouldn't that be smarter to change out the shocks and bump correctly for them?

There's no single height that anyone can tell you, every 4x4 is going to be set up a little differently.

MarkW13

It depends on what your tire size is and if you are rubbing on full compression. Rule of thumb is your bump stops should be the same height as your lift. 3" lift = 3" bump extension. There is a thread about stock specs and measuring lift height.

Top Bottom