Hood louver and snow?

Holeshot

Banned
I'm planning in getting a hood louver for my jk in the next 12 months or so. The basic idea is to get a louver for 2013 with the dual windshield washer pisser, because the single pisser is actually the only thing I HATE about my jk lol.

And since we have snow 6 months a year up here, I'm a little worried about snow and ice build up in the engine bay. I know the engine will become hot enough the melt it down, but I only have 7 km to drive to go at work and, its not long enough for snow to melt and evaporate completely.

So any of you had any experience with this? I thought about putting a kind of light density foaming as a pre-filter to prevent the element to enter the engine bay, but don't know the hell how I'm gonna do this lol.

Holeshot

Banned
well I was not asking for the performance itself, but rather about comments or issues with louvers during winter :brows:

Tranquillity

Water getting in the engine bay would not be something that bothers me unless it get in electric component nor the intake but if I am correct the louver you talk about is dead center right ? I don't think water would harm the engine there but it will mostly turn to ice and I think that's the problem.

I kinda liked the look the louvered hood gives but snow/calcium made me backed of.

Holeshot

Banned
yea exactly. I was thinking in getting the poison spyder louvers.

And it's not the water itself that bother me but snow! If snow can get in, and if I only drive 7km to get at work, then it will melt, but the engine will not be running long enough to make the water evaporate. So there will be a water accumulation on the engine, which will freeze at a range between -10 to -30 centigrade, and this, every day. Which will result in a good quantity of ice, that could, and probably will, damage components.

THIS, is what I'm worried about. :thinking:

Trail_Creeper

I had a pair of Chrysler Lebaron vents on my XJ in Alaska and had no issues. However those weren't centered over the motor either. I could see the water getting into something and freezing causing something to cracking, similar to the same way they used to break big rocks into little rocks.

Top Bottom