Hi-Lift rattle...

thechrisjones

I just recently installed my Hi-Lift and getting an annoying rattle from were the base attachment. I already have the daystar handle holder. Will the neoprene cover hold it tight enough to stop the rattle? Or should I just take the base off?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, just take the base off and carry it inside with your recovery kit. Or, you can do what I do and leave your Hi-Lift at home. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Screw that the one time I left mine at home was the one time I needed it. Don't leave without it now lol.

LOL!! So you say. I have 2 Hi-Lifts and I don't think I've carried one with me on a trail run in over 5 years. Guess I just don't wheel on hard enough trails.

BlackHawk08jk

LOL!! So you say. I have 2 Hi-Lifts and I don't think I've carried one with me on a trail run in over 5 years. Guess I just don't wheel on hard enough trails.

I don't know about that lol. If I would have had sliders at the time I wouldn't have needed it. But got the body pretty hung up. Had to borrow one lol.

WEN2FAS

I just recently installed my Hi-Lift and getting an annoying rattle from were the base attachment. I already have the daystar handle holder. Will the neoprene cover hold it tight enough to stop the rattle? Or should I just take the base off?

I mounted mine inside and put a neoprene cover on it and it's silent.

big dr

Take a long zip-tie and put it through a hole in the base and wrap it up and around the lift fork, then cinch it down. Mine doesn't make a sound and its right behind my seat.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im glad you said that. Ive been debating on if i should be carrying one.

Well, to be fair, Hi-Lifts "can" be very useful tools. They are just very dangerous to use and more times than not, I see guys trying to use them in a misguided attempt to change a flat. I rarely see them being used in a situation where a bottle jack couldn't do the same job and a lot safer.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I installed an EVO Hi-Lift mount on my tailgate, put a neoprene sock on the mechanism and a Hi-Lift handle holder. Still had to use a small bungee to keep the handle from moving slightly up and down. So far no squeaks or annoying rattles. Got to use the jack once since then. We live on a dirt mountain road and as we're driving home we come on a flatbed delivery truck blocking the road, high centered and one set of duals hanginging over the ditch. He was lost and decided to turn around on the narrowest section.:doh: We got him out in about 15mins. Before this I never carried a jack, but since I don't have a winch yet, I carry it to ward off the evil trail gods. Besides it can be used as a poor man's winch in a pinch.:twocents:

BlackHawk08jk

Well, to be fair, Hi-Lifts "can" be very useful tools. They are just very dangerous to use and more times than not, I see guys trying to use them in a misguided attempt to change a flat. I rarely see them being used in a situation where a bottle jack couldn't do the same job and a lot safer.

Do agree with that. I've seen a lot of times where they are very dangerous, and many people do not use them safely.

wetfootnw

I use a cut bicycle tire tube wrapped around the base I picked up from Walmart for $3. Works well after the neoprene sock ripped up that still rattled.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I use a cut bicycle tire tube wrapped around the base I picked up from Walmart for $3. Works well after the neoprene sock ripped up that still rattled.

Great idea. I'm not confident the sock is gonna give me years of trouble free service.:thumb:

DESERTDAD

I pulled it apart dipped the end in Black Plastdip a couple times and put it back together.
Now on a rough road at speed no noise at all.:thumb:

Top Bottom