EVO Bolt-On CO questions

jedg

So rather than move to a new set of coils now and then to coil overs later this year I will run my 2.5" until August then purchase the front EVO bolt on coil overs and a set of plush coils foe the rear. Eventually end with coil overs in the rear also.

Rather than call EVO and be a 'tire kicker' I thought I'd ask you folks that may have experience with this route.

1. I am assuming others have done something similar to the above on a JK? CO front and coils rear?

2. When I purchase the bolt-on front kit from EVO what else do you think I will need? The kit looks pretty complete. I think my sway bar links will work (from a Max Travel 2.5) and I'm running Currie adjustable CAs ( all eight) looking for 3 to 3.5 of lift. Possibly drag link flip?

3. Is there something I should be considering that I haven't mentioned?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1. I am assuming others have done something similar to the above on a JK? CO front and coils rear?

Honestly, I can't say I have heard of anyone doing this before. I mean, sure it can be done but why not just wait and do it right the first time?

2. When I purchase the bolt-on front kit from EVO what else do you think I will need? The kit looks pretty complete. I think my sway bar links will work (from a Max Travel 2.5) and I'm running Currie adjustable CAs ( all eight) looking for 3 to 3.5 of lift. Possibly drag link flip?

You will definitely want a drag link flip/front track bar relocation installed. You will also need a new front drive shaft if you don't have one already.

jedg

Yep. That's why I was asking. Hadn't seen it on a JK. I have on TJs.

Yep. Already sporting drive shafts and track bar relocation. I use the oem track bar.

Yeah. May just wait until the spring and do all four then. This is why I didn't want to take up an EVO rep time on the phone.

jgarz05

I just made a thread in this basically I I understand where your coming from, your are still doing it once and right your just doing it in 2 parts, I'd do the same thing but 3 stages the last would be long arms cause I'm all stock just control arm drop bracket. Question: did you say you have a 2.5 lift now?

jedg

I just made a thread in this basically I I understand where your coming from, your are still doing it once and right your just doing it in 2 parts, I'd do the same thing but 3 stages the last would be long arms cause I'm all stock just control arm drop bracket. Question: did you say you have a 2.5 lift now?

Yep, running 2.5" springs.

jgarz05

Yep, running 2.5" springs.

Cause I'm 3.5 front 2.5 rear so I was just going to keep these coils with the coilovers till I can afford the back as well. So that's an option for you to so you don't buy another set of springs

UpsideUp

Man! I just asked almost the same question in my own thread. You kind of beat me to it!!
Sorry all if I duplicated the questions.:blush:

noroad

Does anyone know the lowest lift setting you can go to on the coilovers?

if you set them to low you wont have a ton of up travel.

also i run coilover rear springs front, as i couldnt pass on a deal. the fronts will be soon.

Havoc40

Slight derail, didn't feel the need to start a new thread

Noroad and others that live in the salt belt...how do you or plan to keep corosion down during the winter months? I'm about to install coilovers myself and would like to keep these things in decent shape. I was thinking just soak them every week with marvel and WD.

stangbuster

I plan on doing the same thing, but I will be getting rear CO first and as money allows do the fronts. As long as everything is dialed in and aligned properly after each upgrade you will be fine.
Consider that Evo sells the kits separate. A front kit and a rear kit. If it was an issue they would only sell them in a full f&r 4CO kit.
They know we don't all have the coin to drop on this kind of stuff all at once.

devonn216

The reason I asked my question is that I am the type of person to only buy something once, and do it right the first time. That being said I can't afford to do it all right, right now. I know that I want coilovers as an end state. So can I buy either the front or rears now and have them set 2.5 inches for the time being until I can afford the rears and everything else to go up to 3.5 or so? I hope that all makes sense..

devonn216

I don't get it. Why not just wait until you can afford both? :thinking:

I prefer the "pay-as-you-go" method as opposed to dropping a large sum at one time. I just find it easier on my finances that way.

So is doing it that way doable?

seanb123

I prefer the "pay-as-you-go" method as opposed to dropping a large sum at one time. I just find it easier on my finances that way.

So is doing it that way doable?

Someone else may be able to verify but I believe that the lowest setting the coilovers can be set to is around 3.5 inches so you'd have a problem there

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You do know that if you just do one side and not the other at the same time, your ride off road will suck, right? What will happen is that your front end will be able to take hits so much faster and so much more comfortably that your rear end will constantly bottom out. While I have not seen anyone purposefully do this with bolt-on coil overs, I have known a few guys who tried doing this early on with the original EVO weld in coil overs up front and coils in the rear and it didn't take long for the guys in question to find the money to convert the rear to coil overs to match. If it were me, I would just wait till you can afford to do things RIGHT. But hey, it's your Jeep and your money and really, what would I know.

jedg

You do know that if you just do one side and not the other at the same time, your ride off road will suck, right? What will happen is that your front end will be able to take hits so much faster and so much more comfortably that your rear end will constantly bottom out. While I have not seen anyone purposefully do this with bolt-on coil overs, I have known a few guys who tried doing this early on with the original EVO weld in coil overs up front and coils in the rear and it didn't take long for the guys in question to find the money to convert the rear to coil overs to match. If it were me, I would just wait till you can afford to do things RIGHT. But hey, it's your Jeep and your money and really, what would I know.

Yep, I got to ride in a JK in the area that has CO's in the front and springs in the rear... the ride was certainly strange. I'm waiting.

Top Bottom