JKU rear DS boot torn ????

chipper

After work today I went and did some light wheeling. Ended up tearing the plastic/rubber boot on the rear driveshaft. I had to cut the rest of it off because it was slapping around and making a loud racket.
Is it like the front, once the boot tears you need a new DS? Is it going to be ok to drive around without the boot on it?

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd replace it as soon as possible, it's not like the front where it's not always under force.

As long as it stays greased it'll last a little while as a daily driver, they do make a repair kit for it.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Mines torn, still working. I didn't relocate my evap skid and ripped it up.

Attachments

• 1432172145600.jpg
    1432172145600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 71

chipper

Relocating the evap skid. I'm not sure I know what that is. Or how to move it. Is that what may have torn the boot

olram30

Relocating the evap skid. I'm not sure I know what that is. Or how to move it. Is that what may have torn the boot

Yeah, my pictures shows it making contact with the boot and ds weights. I just scooted it over.

Attachments

• 1432173395737.jpg
    1432173395737.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 1432173417061.jpg
    1432173417061.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 65

chipper

I just went down to the dealer. Spoke to them about the boot. They have a oem boot kit for $58. I ordered it. I'm also going to order the EVO Protek evap skid. Because after crawling under there to get a better look at the DS. I noticed the evap skid has a good dent in it. I'm thinking the Evo skid should give more clearance from the DS like you guys said it needs

olram30

I'm just going to wait and order a 1350. It won't hurt with the boot torn. Don't these evo skids just go over the factory skid or does the factory skid get removed?

chipper

I'm just going to wait and order a 1350. It won't hurt with the boot torn. Don't these evo skids just go over the factory skid or does the factory skid get removed?

Looking at the pics on NR site it appears to replace the factory and should give more DS clearance and maybe even more ground clearance too. I also was looking at the poison spyder one. But I like the Evo brand.

Top Bottom