Horsepower

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Been wondering for a long time why manufacturers make their horsepower claims at the engines rpm redline, why would I care that the 3.6 puts out 285 hp at over 6000 rpm, I'm more interested in the power it has in the normal operating range of 2000 to say 3500 rpm. Can somebody explain why they do it this way?

trailless

Caught the Bug
Because when they market it, they don't state HP at such and such RPM. Its all about the largest number. Take a look at diesel trucks and the torque ratings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Havoc40

The OEM or aftermarket part manufacturers only publish the peak power numbers. In gasoline engines, those peak numbers are usually in the higher RPM range. It's just marketing...

If you think trolls are bad here, you should spend some time on engine performance forums! Everybody is about these peak numbers.

Last edited:

Mtbhjm

Been wondering for a long time why manufacturers make their horsepower claims at the engines rpm redline, why would I care that the 3.6 puts out 285 hp at over 6000 rpm, I'm more interested in the power it has in the normal operating range of 2000 to say 3500 rpm. Can somebody explain why they do it this way?

Try looking up some dyno runs for a stock 3.6; that should give you your answer as to how much power/torque the engine puts out at low RPMs and more importantly how much of the power actually makes it from the engine to the ground.

Top Bottom