Installing the DTD on the front

bkac

Caught the Bug
After talking to Andrew at EVO, I ordered front bolt-on coilovers with king bumps and the rear lever with DTD no bumps. He said this was a great setup if you don't go full DTD f/r. I'm wondering now for the little bit of difference if I should just go full DTD in the front also. My concern is I will be installing this setup by myself and I'm wondering if I can weld the front dtd brackets to the axle ahead of time or if I have to wait and cycle the suspension once under the jeep and release the nitrogen from the from shocks before I weld the brackets to the axle for exact placement. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has actually done this themselves.
My issue is the amount of downtime I'm gonna need to get it all completed including the high clearance longarms as this is currently the wife's DD.

I have no problems cutting and welding this just know it will take me a bit longer being it's the first time doing the DTD on a Jeep.

I'm also wondering about the front frame mounts, do they make since where they exactly go or do they need to be fitted and played with to make them go where they need to go. It's this something someone can give me the measurements for before hand so I'm ready to roll when there's no turning back?

I'm a planner want to have it all thoughtout in my head first.
I put a small block in my YJ once without thinking through the process. What a nightmare that was. Just some questions I have before going all in!
Thanks in advance!

sean.m.adams33

So when I was doing my build the price difference was so little it made no sense for me to NOT do the DTD in the front. Just like mine is, you can add in the bypasses when you've won the lotto. 😉

bkac

Caught the Bug
So when I was doing my build the price difference was so little it made no sense for me to NOT do the DTD in the front. Just like mine is, you can add in the bypasses when you've won the lotto. 😉

The difference for me is the install. The front is much more time consuming then the standard Bolt-on coilovers. It's not really about the price difference. I know its going to basically double my downtime and stress level. :)

Are you currently running bumps in the front? If not do you bottom your coils out? Love your rig :thumbup:

sean.m.adams33

The difference for me is the install. The front is much more time consuming then the standard Bolt-on coilovers. It's not really about the price difference. I know its going to basically double my downtime and stress level. :)

Are you currently running bumps in the front? If not do you bottom your coils out? Love your rig :thumbup:

No bumps on the front. I've been careful not to bottom them out but there is the potential. The bump is in the bypass shock so I will have to wait.
I had ORE do the install but I can tell you just from the looks, it's no easy feat. Depends on your skill level. I am nowhere near that good.

jeeper52

LOSER
After talking to Andrew at EVO, I ordered front bolt-on coilovers with king bumps and the rear lever with DTD no bumps. He said this was a great setup if you don't go full DTD f/r. I'm wondering now for the little bit of difference if I should just go full DTD in the front also. My concern is I will be installing this setup by myself and I'm wondering if I can weld the front dtd brackets to the axle ahead of time or if I have to wait and cycle the suspension once under the jeep and release the nitrogen from the from shocks before I weld the brackets to the axle for exact placement. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has actually done this themselves.
My issue is the amount of downtime I'm gonna need to get it all completed including the high clearance longarms as this is currently the wife's DD.

I have no problems cutting and welding this just know it will take me a bit longer being it's the first time doing the DTD on a Jeep.

I'm also wondering about the front frame mounts, do they make since where they exactly go or do they need to be fitted and played with to make them go where they need to go. It's this something someone can give me the measurements for before hand so I'm ready to roll when there's no turning back?

I'm a planner want to have it all thoughtout in my head first.
I put a small block in my YJ once without thinking through the process. What a nightmare that was. Just some questions I have before going all in!
Thanks in advance!

Hey Yolo, im actually installing the front towers tomorrow along with the rest of the long arm kit. I dont believe you can weld the shock tab on the axle without cycling the axle to find the correct angle and mount. Everything has been very cut and dry as far as fitment except the front dtd towers. Im having a guy who has installed many of these kits come by tomorrow to help me get the right angle and fitment. After its all done im more than happy to send you pictures and measurements to help you out. As soon as its welded in i can give you an exact degree how the tower fits using a degree wheel. As far as time goes?? I started in February and i still have a fair amount left, granted thats only working on it 1 Saturday per week but still its a lot of work. If you have to install the front and rear dtd,high clearance long arms,exhaust mods,rear bump stops, and figure time to cut off all the old bracketry from the frame and axles i would figure about an easy week to week and a half to get it done. But thats just me and i took my time and stopped when i got tired to prevent mistakes. If you are good with cutti good and welding and can delicate full days to the project you can probably get it done much sooner. Lastly i was in the same boat as you when comparing the bolt-on coilovers to the double throwdown only because of the laybor. If you have any doubt about it just do it now and do it once and you wont regret it and wonder if you made a poor decision, not saying the bolt on kit is a poor choice or anything but it will cost you a arm and a leg to change it later. Good luck and let me know if you want me to send you any info after tomorrow. Btw evo's instructions suck so you are going to be left on your own to figure it out.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Hey Yolo, im actually installing the front towers tomorrow along with the rest of the long arm kit. I dont believe you can weld the shock tab on the axle without cycling the axle to find the correct angle and mount. Everything has been very cut and dry as far as fitment except the front dtd towers. Im having a guy who has installed many of these kits come by tomorrow to help me get the right angle and fitment. After its all done im more than happy to send you pictures and measurements to help you out. As soon as its welded in i can give you an exact degree how the tower fits using a degree wheel. As far as time goes?? I started in February and i still have a fair amount left, granted thats only working on it 1 Saturday per week but still its a lot of work. If you have to install the front and rear dtd,high clearance long arms,exhaust mods,rear bump stops, and figure time to cut off all the old bracketry from the frame and axles i would figure about an easy week to week and a half to get it done. But thats just me and i took my time and stopped when i got tired to prevent mistakes. If you are good with cutti good and welding and can delicate full days to the project you can probably get it done much sooner. Lastly i was in the same boat as you when comparing the bolt-on coilovers to the double throwdown only because of the laybor. If you have any doubt about it just do it now and do it once and you wont regret it and wonder if you made a poor decision, not saying the bolt on kit is a poor choice or anything but it will cost you a arm and a leg to change it later. Good luck and let me know if you want me to send you any info after tomorrow. Btw evo's instructions suck so you are going to be left on your own to figure it out.

Great reply btw,
Man, pictures would be really helpful. The front frame brackets are really my own concern. I'm thinking that would add about another 8 solid hours just cutting, prepping , and welding the front brackets on. I'm really wanting to give it a shot.
Let me know how it goes for you! GL.

jeeper52

LOSER
Great reply btw,
Man, pictures would be really helpful. The front frame brackets are really my own concern. I'm thinking that would add about another 8 solid hours just cutting, prepping , and welding the front brackets on. I'm really wanting to give it a shot.
Let me know how it goes for you! GL.

I think the front took me about 3 hrs to cut them off and grind them smooth. Do you have a plasma cutter?

bkac

Caught the Bug
I think the front took me about 3 hrs to cut them off and grind them smooth. Do you have a plasma cutter?

Yes, I'm l planning on using a plasma! Thanks for the heads up. I figured 8 hrs to cut all off and weld it all back on!

jeeper52

LOSER
Yes, I'm l planning on using a plasma! Thanks for the heads up. I figured 8 hrs to cut all off and weld it all back on!

That will make it so much easier. Btw incase you haven't thought of it already but you can release all of the nitrogen out of the fronts to get the mount location on the axle and then just take the shocks to a local 4x4 shop that has a nitrogen tank and get them filled to evo's specs rather than buying a $500 tank.

bkac

Caught the Bug
That will make it so much easier. Btw incase you haven't thought of it already but you can release all of the nitrogen out of the fronts to get the mount location on the axle and then just take the shocks to a local 4x4 shop that has a nitrogen tank and get them filled to evo's specs rather than buying a $500 tank.

Thanks again! Yep, looking around town for someone that can do that for me! :thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom