Steering Dampener Leaking?

TomJK

So I went to change out my front differential oil, and notices this on my steering dampener. It looks to me like there is fluid/oil coming out of the piston. I suppose it could be something else leaking onto it, but I really doubt it. If it is coming from the dampener, is that a problem?
Thanks
WP_20150522_004.jpg

Mikead40

kind of looks like you need a new one.

Yup
That's how mine looked after a day of pretty hard off-roading a while back.
Don't do what I did though and spend a ton of extra money on the fox ATS stabilizer. It's no better than any other ones out there... and if your Jeep is setup properly and aligned well, a steering stabilizer is almost unnecessary (which is probably why you didn't notice anything until you got underneath it).

TomJK

Thanks guys. I haven't done any off roading in about a year, so I'm guessing it just went out over time. If the stabilizer isn't too essential, I'm assuming a repair can wait a while?

David1tontj

Thanks guys. I haven't done any off roading in about a year, so I'm guessing it just went out over time.

That's the problem! Jeeps get angry and break if they don't get off-roaded on a regular basis!

. If the stabilizer isn't too essential, I'm assuming a repair can wait a while?

Should be fine for a while. I don't even have one on my Tj.

David1tontj

I knew I was doing something wrong! :banghead:

Good to know. Thanks.... Unless I flip over, explode, and die... That would really ruin the weekend...

Hahaha. Nice.
But really- a properly set up steering and suspension system should be able to run fine without one. I cruise 75 down the highway in a 2 door jeep on 40's without any problems.

Running without one is sometimes needed to find/track down vibrations/ loose components. There is nothing to mask any problems, so you typically notice things sooner.

TomJK

Haha ok, good to know. I'll let this go to the back burner of things to fix... I have plenty of others to tackle. Thanks for the help

Top Bottom