Low mileage maint schedule

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I know some of you will roll your eyes, but I'm trying to figure out what i should do about my maintenance schedule due to the very low miles I put on my JK. I work from home, and so I average about 500 miles/month or less typically. I changed my oil to full synthetic as I always do at around 2k miles and while I just hit 4000 miles this week and it's nearly 5 months later, I'm wondering when I should consider changing as I'll never hit the recommended mileage interval.

I'm about to switch out my diffs as well, and so the same applies there. Any recommendations on what interval in terms of time I should consider changing fluids? is 6 months too often? I'm sure I could go well longer, but I've been scratching my head on what is best. Opinions and thoughts?

Anvil128

Just do your oil and fluid change annually and check all fluids quarterly if your not hitting intervals - money well spent!

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I'm in the same situation as you, I've had mine for a year and just did the first oil Change a month ago, only has 6800 miles on it. Have been wondering if I should change it based on mileage or time.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I'm in the same situation as you, I've had mine for a year and just did the first oil Change a month ago, only has 6800 miles on it. Have been wondering if I should change it based on mileage or time.

Yep, I'm still really not sure what to do. The annual change seems reasonable, but I'm wondering if it should be more than that. I'm not sure what the life of full sythentic is when infrequently used.

curtiso504

Just try to run the Jeep every now and then long enough to get everything nice and hot. At least 20-30 minutes at normal warmed up temperature. You can have your fluids tested pretty cheap and would know exactly what shape they are in. The exhaust / combustion gases are what breaks down the engine lubricants. Getting the parts up to temperature keeps the moisture out of the fluids. I usually do annuals on my low mileage vehicles with synthetic fluids.

jesse3638

Hooked
As mentioned above. If its low mileage run it periodically to keep the seals in good shape and moisture out. Send your fluids in for testing and change them appropriately.

JKbrick

09 with 11,400 on it, I change my fluids once a year and I never start it without letting it come up to temp. The oil still looks clean after a year

spinuck

Maybe he means he doesn't start driving until it's warmed up. that or he has a really good block warmer.

BlkOpsCzr

I run synthetic and change it yearly. I just went over 41k on my 05 TJ. The oil basically looks new when I change it.

Top Bottom