Uneven tire wear...advice pls

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Driving my mom's 2014 JKUR with 25k miles on it, all highway, a little time on dirt roads. Noticed tires were super loud, stock BFGs, and too a look. Really uneven wear on each individual knob on the tires. They have a high side and a low side on each knob. All nobs have higher side traveling forward. Hope my description is accurate. Photo below too.

Is this balance issue? Is it ball joints, is it just in need of tire rotation?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432744966.718876.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432745008.422249.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432745042.890713.jpg

I always amazes me how a tire can wear like this.

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do for your tires now. As mentioned I'd look over everything and have an alignment done or follow Eddie's write up to check it yourself. Once corrected, you will likely be looking at some new shoes.

How often did you rotate?

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I had similar suspicions but wanted to gather more opinions.

Much appreciated!

I had a similar issue with my MT Baja ATZ's and it turned out to be a balance issue.

I would rotate and balance your tires and then do a chalk test on the tires and adjust air pressure to get an even wear.

R/
Will

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I had a similar issue with my MT Baja ATZ's and it turned out to be a balance issue.

I would rotate and balance your tires and then do a chalk test on the tires and adjust air pressure to get an even wear.

R/
Will

Sounds good, thanks Will! 👍🏻

MANUEL

I was having the same problem with my stock 2014 jkur i check arything alignment, bushing, balljoints ect ect ary thing was ok so i rotate my tires and 1500 miles after there starting to even out

BlackHawk08jk

Mine was doing that until I replaced the ball joints. I had 4 times as many miles on mine though. They were going bad around 40k miles though.

tharb5111

I had same.issue. severe tire cupping that rumbled as I.drove. solved it with 5 tire rotation every 3000 miles. Also aired down to 34 psi to get the entire tread flat across asphalt. Also put on 1.5 inch rough country spacers. All of.this and I.now.have perfect tread and.even wear. No.more.rumble. and.the wider stance offers better onroad handling and.way better.tire wear. Not.to mention the jeep looks better with the wider stance. Do these things and you will solve your tire cupping issues as I.did. hope.this helps.

I had same.issue. severe tire cupping that rumbled as I.drove. solved it with 5 tire rotation every 3000 miles. Also aired down to 34 psi to get the entire tread flat across asphalt. Also put on 1.5 inch rough country spacers. All of.this and I.now.have perfect tread and.even wear. No.more.rumble. and.the wider stance offers better onroad handling and.way better.tire wear. Not.to mention the jeep looks better with the wider stance. Do these things and you will solve your tire cupping issues as I.did. hope.this helps.

How does the width or stance effect the tire wear? :thinking:

tharb5111

Tire Scrub creates more friction I think the wider you go. You can feel it. Steering is tighter with them on. Especially at highway speed. Much more stable at speed. Also noticed zero cupping. Increased scrub may cause ball joints to wear slightly faster from what I've read but it seems to improve handling and tire wear in my experience.

Tire Scrub creates more friction I think the wider you go. You can feel it. Steering is tighter with them on. Especially at highway speed. Much more stable at speed. Also noticed zero cupping. Increased scrub may cause ball joints to wear slightly faster from what I've read but it seems to improve handling and tire wear in my experience.

Well, I agree on the tire scrub causing wear, but decreasing backspace and moving the tires out increases it. Also, moving the tires out increases the leverage on the ball joints and decreases their life and wear. This said, as long as the ball joints are good, I don't think either have a huge effect on wear. Cupping, feathering, and poor wear are more likely attributed to poor toe, camber, poor balance, failure to rotate, or the combination of. Mud tires need to be rotated far more often then an AT or street tire. I shoot for every 2500 miles.

tharb5111

How does the width or stance effect the tire wear? :thinking:

I agree. Either way the combination of those things I did solved my problem. Especially the frequent rotation. Although the spacers have increased leverage as you stated and seem to have further improved even tire wear in my experience especially over the last 3 rotations since I've had them on. But the handling is much better in my experience as wel,l probably from the increased leverage you mentioned. I imagine this is why people who get new wheels and larger tires often comnent they feel a more stable ride as well. The change increases scrub and tightens handling. Trade off of faster tire wear and possibly faster wear on ball joints?? Either way it's an improvement over stock to me. And the increase in rotation was key in preventing my severe cupping. Should help the op as well.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I use Equal. It self balances every time. You can use lots of things like BBs or air soft pellets.
Makes the tires wear even.
My only complaint is I have been using it in my MTRs and they are lasting forever. 25k miles and at 50% tread.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Well, I agree on the tire scrub causing wear, but decreasing backspace and moving the tires out increases it. Also, moving the tires out increases the leverage on the ball joints and decreases their life and wear. This said, as long as the ball joints are good, I don't think either have a huge effect on wear. Cupping, feathering, and poor wear are more likely attributed to poor toe, camber, poor balance, failure to rotate, or the combination of. Mud tires need to be rotated far more often then an AT or street tire. I shoot for every 2500 miles.

Thank you very much, this helped a lot. 😄👍🏻

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Only cures are :

1. 37's
And
2. More cowbell

Ha ha, done deal. She has to sell the GTR to fund the build, but after talking to Drew today, she'll be back for #1 and I've always got a bag full of More Cowbell, and a pack of gold diapers too! 😂😂😂

Top Bottom