Aluminum Grab Handle

kaptkrappy

I just posted this on JK-FORUM, so I will share it here

Aluminum Grab Handle

I made this for my better half.

Grab Handle 8.jpg

She didn't like the placement of the velco-on RR grab handle on the roll bar so I threw this together to assist her with getting in and out.

It's aluminum conduit/pipe. I bent it with a conduit bender and welded a tab on it.

Grab Handle 1.jpg Grab Handle 2.jpg

Shaped it to bolt on to an existing bolt at the top of the A pillar and to the roll bar.

Grab Handle 3.jpg

I had to cut a hole in the plastic trim piece and drill a hole (1/4") through the roll bar, but it was pretty simple and it's very sturdy.

Grab Handle 6.jpg

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Yeah nice work! Did you do the Fab work yourself? :thumb:

Whats the OD of the tubing you used?

Do you know what the radius of the bend was?

kaptkrappy

Yeah nice work! Did you do the Fab work yourself? :thumb:

Whats the OD of the tubing you used?

Do you know what the radius of the bend was?

It is 1" rigid aluminum electrical conduit, OD = 1.315 Inches, Wall Thickness 0.126 Inch.

I bent it with a standard rigid conduit bender which has a c
enterline bend radius of 9-3/4 In.

I used a torch to heat the one end and hammered out the flat section at the front.

I also used a scrap of flat aluminum to make the tab. Heated it and formed it to the same radius as the roll bar.

A guy that works for me did the welding, and I had a shop near me do the powder coating (both free/favors)

Here's another pic.

Grab Handle 9.jpg

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
It is 1" rigid aluminum electrical conduit, OD = 1.315 Inches, Wall Thickness 0.126 Inch.

I bent it with a standard rigid conduit bender which has a c
enterline bend radius of 9-3/4 In.

I used a torch to heat the one end and hammered out the flat section at the front.

I also used a scrap of flat aluminum to make the tab. Heated it and formed it to the same radius as the roll bar.

A guy that works for me did the welding, and I had a shop near me do the powder coating (both free/favors)

Here's another pic.

View attachment 7388

Thanks! I think I'll make one of these next chance I have! My wife is short and always wants a better handle than the Jeep strap handle that came with it! Nice job! :thumb:

RGolie13

Yeah I may have to make some if these. Wife is 5 foot and the Velcro straps are just in a weird place.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Hey Kapt, on the roll bar side did you screw that tab in somehow? Can't tell from the pic. :thinking:

kaptkrappy

Hey Kapt, on the roll bar side did you screw that tab in somehow? Can't tell from the pic. :thinking:

Yes. I drilled through the roll bar and the tab (see arrow in pic).

I didn't get a picture of the roll bar bolt, but that's where it is.

Grab Handle 10.jpg

kaptkrappy

So how much are you going to sell a pair for? Nice job. I think you'll make money

Thanks.

I don't think I will be making any more.

Everything you need to know about making one is in this thread, you make them and I'll split the profits with you. :thumb:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
kaptkrappy said:
Thanks.

I don't think I will be making any more.

Everything you need to know about making one is in this thread, you make them and I'll split the profits with you. :thumb:

Sounds good to me !! Once they get in production I'll let you know. Lol

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Looks good! I was thinking of fabbing some of these up soon.

Those are awesome and a much better solution IMO than the roll bar straps I have. As for the patent, there's a company already out there making these. A buddy of mine has them installed on his 2012 Rubi. They go for about $65 a pair. Not nearly as cool as making them yourself of course.

Top Bottom