Tuff Stuff Skid Plates

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Anybody know anything good or bad about the Tuff Stuff oil and transmission skid plates.

I do moderate wheeling and mostly trails.

noroad

Anybody know anything good or bad about the Tuff Stuff oil and transmission skid plates.

I do moderate wheeling and mostly trails.

to be honest i just googled it and it looks like a knock off of the rock hard, it doesn't even say how thick it is. i would get something a little more proven.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Per the company the skids are 1/4" thick and 55 lbs.

I agree, they look like knock offs, but if they fit and have the correct clearance, I'm guessing they should be alright.

noroad

Per the company the skids are 1/4" thick and 55 lbs.

I agree, they look like knock offs, but if they fit and have the correct clearance, I'm guessing they should be alright.

im not saying it will or wont work im just saying I would go with a more trusted company. maybe others can help if they have it!

Ktoth87

I literally just installed that kit today. I figured I'd try to save some money and it shows. They are 1/4 inch and very solid. However, they do not come with directions. I have spacers on my exhaust for front driveshaft clearance. And that causes it to rub significantly. I had to make spacers just to get it to clear the exhaust. Not sure if I'll keep them yet. I havnt taken it out on the trails here. But I bet they are not as good as a brand name. Hopefully I'll get it out next week to try them out. I'm 50/50 on this.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
I know Rock Hard, who these look like, provides a spacer for Jks with exhaust extension.

Luckily i don't have the exhaust extension.

Otherwise how do you like it. Fairly easy to install ?

Ktoth87

Good to know I did not know that about the rock hard skid. Fairly easy install other than that. 4 bolts in the rear that come with rock guards, then two brackets up front that bolt to the motor mount frame. One on each motor mount.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Received a response from Tuff Stuff asking specs for their Oil & Tranny Skip Plate.

They said their skid plate is built to the exact same specs as the Rock Hard Skid Plate and that they are in the process of updating their web site to show the specs on all their products.

noroad

Received a response from Tuff Stuff asking specs for their Oil & Tranny Skip Plate.

They said their skid plate is built to the exact same specs as the Rock Hard Skid Plate and that they are in the process of updating their web site to show the specs on all their products.

did he really say it like that? did he use the words rock hard? if he did for that alone i would not buy it.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Yep thats what his email said. Even gave the rock hard link.

Ill try tomorrow to copy his email to this post.

noroad

Yep thats what his email said. Even gave the rock hard link.

Ill try tomorrow to copy his email to this post.

you have got to be kidding me that is such a shitty company man!!! rock hard is a supporting vendor and stands by there products 100%! I cant believe they are ripping off rock hard and using their web page to do it!

Ktoth87

If I would've known they knocked off another company especially like rock hard. I wouldn't have bought it. Knock offs are never as good.

Ktoth87

I just watched rock hard install video. And everything that came with tuff stuff's is the same. Install is the same. But I don't like how I needed additional spacers added to their spacer to clear the exhaust. Possibly the wrong bend in the rear end of the skid? Guess that's why cheaper isn't always better. I'll double check all the brackets and try to adjust some more.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Here's their response.

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in our product.*
This skid plate has the same specs and mounting as the rockhard skid plate.*
We are in the process of renewing the listing with specs and install instructions. In the meantime please view the link below to see everything you need.
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-6003.htm
Thanks*

Brandon V.*
1-866-220-0171*#106

www.TruckandWinch.com
support@truckandwinch.com

AYFKM?!? I hope these tools get sued.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
This kind of shit pisses me off to no end. I hope someone from this ripoff company posts up on this forum so I can give them a proper lashing.

dwmgcs

If they are publicly throwing the rock hard name around and not getting sued, it's possible they are rebranding under license from rock hard, might be exact same product

If they are publicly throwing the rock hard name around and not getting sued, it's possible they are rebranding under license from rock hard, might be exact same product
Negative. We are not private licensing/labeling our skid plates to anyone.

Couple things could be happening here. Can't tell much about their line because frankly they don't have much info posted at this time.

Their oil pan pan product does have similar lines to ours but their photo shows an oil change access door with different mounting. This tells us this is not a simple reboxing of our product.

In the real world, this happens all the time. Fortunately we've had our skid plates on the market since the JK first came out (chronicled by Eddie in a very early review of their release on JK-F) so we have had plenty of time to build a solid reputation. The other entity that this thread revolves around seems to be bragging about our product and finds it worthy to copy. That's flattering to us and is a testament to our product. It tells us we are the act to follow.

What we can tell you is:

• Obviously we are the original
  • Our products are 100% made in house, in the USA
  • Our products have YEARS of field testing plus end user feedback to be the refined product they are today.

We hope customers can look closely at each line, their product's respective reputations, relationship, and history in the off road industry and make an informed decision about which line to purchase.

I personally thank the thousands of Jeepers who have put their trust into Rock Hard 4x4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom