just got "oil changed need" message ... 7 weeks and 1500 miles early

ablinkin

i base my oil changes on the 3 month/3,000 mile concept but usually don't make 3k miles for around 5 months. Last oil change was bout 2 months ago, I rarely get the oil change message ever. Did my last oil change simply not reset it? or is there a chance I have an issue and my jeep is trying to tell me...?

thanks

MIURA

The Jeep doesn't reset on its own when you change the oil. To Reset you just have to Turn the ignition to the ON position (don't start the Jeep), pump the gas pedal 3 times all the way down within 10 seconds, ignition to OFF and take out key. That will reset your oil light, it's in the manual

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The Jeep doesn't reset on its own when you change the oil. To Reset you just have to Turn the ignition to the ON position (don't start the Jeep), pump the gas pedal 3 times all the way down within 10 seconds, ignition to OFF and take out key. That will reset your oil light, it's in the manual

This. If you didn't reset it then your jeep didn't know you changed the oil.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Guess I'm a bit slow today :crazyeyes:

What everyone else has stated is correct. :yup:

CJW

Also, the oil change isn't base on time or mileage. But what the computer thinks you need to do based on driving conditions.

Wardell

That's the correct sequence. That said, I had to try that a few times before it worked and turned off the warning when I changed my oil (I've only changed it myself once so far). I'd recommend double checking the "oil life remaining" counter in the EVIC (assuming your Jeep has one) to make sure the counter did in fact reset.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Also, the oil change isn't base on time or mileage. But what the computer thinks you need to do based on driving conditions.

Usually they are still triggered by mileage but if you have a lot of engine run time it may trigger the light before it reaches the set mileage in the computer. Seems like most are set between 5k to 7500 miles to trigger the light depending on vehicle make.

I know most of the 03-07 Chevy trucks and SUVs will show you engine run time on the instrument cluster. Which was pretty cool as we would get oil field trucks in with not very many miles but had a crap ton of hours on them as they set and run all the time.

Freightguy

I am only getting 200 to 400 miles after oil change for the warning to come on again. If I reset it them it will stay off for about 50 to 100 miles. Something is wrong with mine and I would just like to turn it off. Anyone know how?

Top Bottom