So if you had a blank canvas

Smoked

I need some help..

I sold my 2011 a year ago.. I am blessed to be in the situation that will allow me to buy another jeep. My ultimate build will be running at least 37 if not 40" tires. I have not even purchased the Jeep for this build yet. I understand what comes with a Rubicon and have been debating if I want to go that route, or by a sport and go with a Dynatrac and lockers. Or get a Rubi and work it from that end. I want this thing to last on the trails. What would you do?

I am pretty sure I want the coil over system with all the trimmings and EVO armor. I am somewhat in the boat that feels like buying a Rubi and then just ripping all of the stuff off is a huge waist.

Really would appreciate some feed back and ideas...

This Forum is pure awesome and I value all of your opinions greatly...

Thanks in advance..

Jerry..

noroad

Sport if you have the money to throw new axles and lift in at same time. Rubi if u are on a budget after buy. Then u just need coilovers and can wheel ur 44s on 37s no problem, even sell the 44s once ready to move up!

Smoked

Thanks for response NOROAD.

I am still debating the costs etc.... I am not sold on the electric RUBI lockers or axle. I feel like one day I would want the axle upgrade.. So if thats the case, then why not go that route.. .

noroad

Thanks for response NOROAD.

I am still debating the costs etc.... I am not sold on the electric RUBI lockers or axle. I feel like one day I would want the axle upgrade.. So if thats the case, then why not go that route.. .

the rubi sway bar is a nice addition even switched to a no limits, also the rubi does come with a 4 to 1 transfer case and a little bit of a cab upgrade.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
As it's already been mentioned, if you are going to go over 35s as soon as you get it then I would get a Sport and build it up. If you will be on a budget after purchase then get the Rubicon and start saving as much as you can for the upgrades you want.

If I had the money and could start over, I would get a Sport and buy at least a pr44, 37s, ARB lockers, chromoly shafts, etc. Unless I could get a pr60/80 combo and 40s. 👍

We are having this debate right now as we are thinking about trading the wife's car in on an SUV and I'm trying to convince her to get another JK. If so, I'm trying to decide if we go with a Sport and I get it to build and give her the Rubicon. Or get a Hard Rock Rubicon and she drive it. No matter which way we go, hers will get an EVO leveling kit, wheel spacers, and some 33s in a decent AT tread. It will be our main driver.

jkwebbie

This is just my .02 but if you're going to swap out axles later, get EVO armor and all that, just buy a sport. There's no need to buy a Rubicon if you're just going to rip out all the extra stuff the Rubicon comes with like the axles and sliders and lockers. And if you really want a 4 to 1 transfer case then you can always get a regear kit for your transfer case. So in short, save your money and get a sport and use the money you did save, which should be a few Gs, to help get the parts list going. :D

I purchased a Rubicon and would again....

I understand the buy sport and upgrade idea, but it doesn't always work out the way we plan...

If you get a Rubicon you have a foundation to build on where you can comfortably run 37s out of the gate. Also, the 4:1 T-Case is VERY nice, especially if you like the rocks and to crawl. Don't forget the Rubi-sway disconnect, It is not only nice for disconnecting, but reconnecting on the trail when you don't want front flex (This can happen).

Lastly, what options are you looking for in your Jeep? If you want things like heated seats, power windows, etc. You will likely be looking at a Sahara trim level and the savings will be mostly mitigated.

Smoked

I purchased a Rubicon and would again....

I understand the buy sport and upgrade idea, but it doesn't always work out the way we plan...

If you get a Rubicon you have a foundation to build on where you can comfortably run 37s out of the gate. Also, the 4:1 T-Case is VERY nice, especially if you like the rocks and to crawl. Don't forget the Rubi-sway disconnect, It is not only nice for disconnecting, but reconnecting on the trail when you don't want front flex (This can happen).

Lastly, what options are you looking for in your Jeep? If you want things like heated seats, power windows, etc. You will likely be looking at a Sahara trim level and the savings will be mostly mitigated.

All good stuff guys. The interior foo foo is not that big of deal. I have the ins for aftermarket radio, etc... The only thing I would want other than Ac would be heated seats and that's even something I can do on my own.

The trails that I want to get or mostly the standard ones that everyone wants to run. Sure a stock rubi can get through most of them, but then there is the knowing factor that you can get through them without to many issues. Man I hate to ever use this phrase, but I am seriously on the fence in so many different directions.

I am not asking you guys to tell me what pasture is greener, just some advice and things to think about. I humbled by the time you guys spend answering these questions. Thank you does not cover it.

My recommendation is if you can get a Rubicon then get it. As you upgrade axles you can sell the Rubi D44's to help offset the cost. Additionally the Rubicon comes with the E-Disco that is super nice to have and the 4.1 transfer case. If and when you decide to upgrade to an Atlas 2 you can sell the Rubicon Transfer Case. If you look at some of the Jeep builds on WAL you will see a lot of Rubicon's that have been built up, Moby, RUBIcat, EVOLANDER and EVOJEEP to just name a few.

R/
Will

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

The interior mods could be treated like the exterior mods as well. But holy crap, a lot of the Saharas are just as much as a Rubicon and at that point I'm buying a Rubicon.

As I mentioned earlier, we are thinking about trading in the car for an SUV and I'm pushing for another four door. We seen a commercial for $8500 off Chevy trucks so just to look we stopped by a dealership on Monday. We looked at a half ton, crew cab, 4x4, LT1 or LT2 trim I can't remember for sure. Sticker price was around $46,000, for a damn half ton. I told her immediately that a truck was out of the question. Think she is leaning towards another four door. 👍

jeeper52

LOSER
Buy the rubicon. I was in the same boat at the beginning of this year. By the time i sold the wheels and tires,fender flares,rock sliders,and axles the price difference was not enough to go the sport route especially when you figure in cost for the transfer case. Plus if you ever have to resell the rubi will bring more than the sport even if they are equiped the same. Perople pay huge $$$$ just for the word Rubicon.

Smoked

Buy the rubicon. I was in the same boat at the beginning of this year. By the time i sold the wheels and tires,fender flares,rock sliders,and axles the price difference was not enough to go the sport route especially when you figure in cost for the transfer case. Plus if you ever have to resell the rubi will bring more than the sport even if they are equiped the same. Perople pay huge $$$$ just for the word Rubicon.

That's the truth. I sold a 2011 that I paid 32k for. Put 5k in aftermarket parts, lifts etc... Put 80k miles on it then sold it back for 30k. It's crazy the value these things hold.

I hear what all of you are saying. It will probably be a Rubi then. Plus it will give me a vehicle that is plenty capable while funds are saved for the aftermarket goodies.

Thanks guys

Now to start planning mods >:)

CandAMudders

However, the question was "if you had a blank canvas". No question which canvas has less on it; the Sport. Rubi comes with some lines and color already sketched out. Do you want to erase that and then add your own? Then go with Sport.

Smoked

However, the question was "if you had a blank canvas". No question which canvas has less on it; the Sport. Rubi comes with some lines and color already sketched out. Do you want to erase that and then add your own? Then go with Sport.

Very true. I am at the point now of adding pen to paper and examine costs. The main question for me is what's the cost differences for each then make up my mind. I guess we all have the "if money was no object" but it is. Once again. Thanks for the advice and response guys. It is much appreciated.

I guess we all have the "if money was no object" but it is.

IMO, all the more reason to go Rubi. Going Sport and building will require cash outlay to get you where the Rubi will be stock. We all know how we get big dreams, but never quite seem to get to where we can pull them off. It would suck to get a Sport with the real desire of having things like lockers, and a 4:1 TC and then have trouble getting them after the purchase.

....Don't for get gears. The factory 4.1 offering in the Rubi is plenty good to get you by on 35s (and really even 37s) for some time. The 3.21s will not cut it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
When I first started looking into getting a jeep I never thought about a rubicon till I actually did a little research on here and other sites. This makes me laugh still, but I planned to keep it stock and thats why I went with a rubicon. It was very capable stock, and kept me happy for a little while....then the mod bug hit hardcore. I am still glad I went rubi to have the power options even though I dont run the full doors anymore, the lockers are nice along with the sway disco and I am still on the 4.10s even with 37s and I dont mind it 90% of the time. Also the t-case really is nice paired with stick due to how slow itll crawl.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Go buy someone's built jeep. It'll be cheaper than building it yourself.

And for people that say, built not bought. They are just broke fuckers..

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Lol. Yep. There's been several built jeeps I've seen for sale that I would have loved to buy. While they may or may not have been over priced, they were always more than I could afford.

LOL! I hear this a bunch around my local "circle". They are all working with old rigs that are not as well supported by aftermarket manufacturers. Truth is, I am a pretty decent fabricator. I've sold a bunch of my tools to do so because purchasing parts as good (or better) is cheaper than I can get the material alone for.

Smoked

Go buy someone's built jeep. It'll be cheaper than building it yourself.

LMAO... WIN!

I have thought of this... so far though I have only seen stuff in my area thats used that I would not mess with ... This is a very viable option however and something that I am looking into as well... There is one here in the DFW area that looks promising... just not sure on the color though..

Top Bottom