Used truck axles?

Chairokey

I've heard of folks taking axles from old trucks rather than buying new. Is this a simple and viable option for someone who can't afford new? If so, are there popular models of trucks that people hunt for? Is an axle an axle as far as bolting on is concerned? And lastly, how much could someone expect to pay for,say, a d60 from a junk yard.
The reason I'm asking is because I saw a build where a guy said his axle was a d60 from like a '73 f350. I could be off on those details because it was a few days ago. But the axles looked new lol. Anyone got experience in this department?

kaptkrappy

There are a ton (pun intended) of forum threads, Jeep and others, about one ton (Dana 60) axle swaps.

Fab skills = number one on the list of stuff you are going to need.

Tools = number two on the list. Welders, grinders, cutting tools, measuring tools, presses, pullers.

Parts = number three. Once you start replacing old axle parts with new (gears, lockers, axle shafts, ball joints, etc.)

So you want to buy an old Dana 60 .............

I would love to be able to do all of that, unfortunately most of us don't have the equipment to pull it off or the time.

Chairokey

kaptkrappy said:
There are a ton (pun intended) of forum threads, Jeep and others, about one ton (Dana 60) axle swaps.

Fab skills = number one on the list of stuff you are going to need.

Tools = number two on the list. Welders, grinders, cutting tools, measuring tools, presses, pullers.

Parts = number three. Once you start replacing old axle parts with new (gears, lockers, axle shafts, ball joints, etc.)

So you want to buy an old Dana 60 .............

I would love to be able to do all of that, unfortunately most of us don't have the equipment to pull it off or the time.

Well that's the opposite of what I wanted to hear lol

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can get them cheap most of the time yes but like was said above you need the skills to do it. It will be cheaper (new prorock 60 is around $5k) but it will take a lot of time and be that much harder if your not sure what your doing.

StrizzyChris

If ur able to do ALL the work urself then it would not cost as much as a PR60. BUT most people dont have all those skills needed to do the job right. The fact that ur even asking, i would say give Dynatrac a call!

By the way, thats not meant to be rude. Usually if ur capable, then the question is never asked.

Chairokey

StrizzyChris said:
If ur able to do ALL the work urself then it would not cost as much as a PR60. BUT most people dont have all those skills needed to do the job right. The fact that ur even asking, i would say give Dynatrac a call!

By the way, thats not meant to be rude. Usually if ur capable, then the question is never asked.

Oh I'm definitely not. I was hoping that the axles were pretty much the same, and that most folks just preferred new lol

Trail_Creeper

The last set of 60s i had a hand in building from start to finish ran the guy about $4500 and that included the price of the axles ($1200 for both) with all the work done in the garage. We built them as such:

35-spline chromo axles front and rear
detroits front and rear, with 5.13 gears from Yukon
riddler diff covers
manual hub conversion with matching 35-spline outers
homebrew U-turn steering with 3/4" heims, and DOM tubing

You figure that plus the brackets, and the extra brakets to make all the JK sensors work. Only thing we didn't do was convert the rears to disc. The option has crossed my mind a few times, and still sits with that devil on my shoulder. If i choose to go this route, i still plane to build them in stages.

Top Bottom