Rear bumper Choice

moorecb3

Hey guys! its time for me to get a rear bumper and tire carrier so I can finally get a matching spare tire. I have narrowed my choice down to the PSC Rock Brawler II with tire carrier, and the LOD gen 4 shorty with tire carrier, Some opinions from you guys that have ran either of these would greatly be appreciated!

IMHO the lod is the best bumper you can buy. Ran one on my jk for awhile and absolutely loved it. My wife just got a brand new Rubicon and we already ordered a lod shorty for her.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I run the LōD Gen 3 linked shorty. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433130913.699182.jpg
I love the functionality. It's stout, well built and the powdercoat is second to none. I have a rotopax mount and will be ordering the trail rack soon.

moorecb3

I Currently have 35s. Im Leaning towards the lod, its priced a little better as well, I cant find a whole lot of information from people running the PSC

Havoc40

I'll second rubirick thoughts. Absolutely love my Gen4! I went non-linked. If you go non-linked, you'll probably have to relocate your plate also. The swing gate blocked a good portion of my plate.

20150403_195053.jpg
20150526_232152.jpg

Last edited:

MarkW13

Hey guys! its time for me to get a rear bumper and tire carrier so I can finally get a matching spare tire. I have narrowed my choice down to the PSC Rock Brawler II with tire carrier, and the LOD gen 4 shorty with tire carrier, Some opinions from you guys that have ran either of these would greatly be appreciated!

LOD is good old american steel. Total quality. I have a front, rear, and sliders. Rocks will likely break if you hit them with these things. Fyi, they take a little time to build, so be ready for a 4-6 week wait depending on their availability.

LOD is good old american steel. Total quality. I have a front, rear, and sliders. Rocks will likely break if you hit them with these things. Fyi, they take a little time to build, so be ready for a 4-6 week wait depending on their availability.

You didn't have to wait 4-6 weeks.

moorecb3

its looking like lod is the better option, is there any benefit of the door linked vs the non linked version?

Havoc40

its looking like lod is the better option, is there any benefit of the door linked vs the non linked version?

I went non-linked because I wanted to mount Rotopax on both sides (gas & water). I also like keeping the swing gate open when I'm getting in the back a bunch while camping.

You can only use accessory mounts on the passenger side with the linked version, but it is easier for grocery runs etc. Both will hold a 40" with no accessories mounted.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have a buddy with the linked. Hindsight being what it is...he said he would buy the non-linked if he did it over again.

Last edited:

moorecb3

I'm really glad yall said that about mounting accessories on both sides with the non linked version. I did not even consider that when I was thinking about the two

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Did he give any reasons why he would go non linked?

If I recall, it was because he didn't feel it was as secure and he felt like the tire "moved" or "shook" a bit on washboard roads. To be fair though, I have not personally looked at his setup to make sure he installed everything correctly. I personally installed the non-linked on another friend's Jeep. When my buddy with the linked saw it, he definitely wished he had purchased the non-linked instead.

Honestly, they are so easy to open and close that I don't see the need for getting the linked.

Once choice we hope you can take a moment to look at is our RH-5001 Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier. Rated to not rattle with even a 40" tire, spare height and offset adjustable, multiple bolt patterns, integrated receiver (factory tow rated), hi-lift jack points, hi-lift jack mount, optional tank mounts and cargo rack, 1/4" thick steel, 1" thick double welded recovery tabs.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5001.htm

RH-5001-2T.jpg

moorecb3

So, I have changed my mind back and forth on rear bumpers about 10 times in the last week or so, the lod is still one of my top options, but I also like the look of a body mounted tire carrier with no rear bumper, So I have been looking at the genright and the or-fab as well, I would appreciate any opinions on these from the guys that have fan them, and things they liked or did not like about them. Im also open to any other recommendations, My budget is right around the $1000 mark.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So, I have changed my mind back and forth on rear bumpers about 10 times in the last week or so, the lod is still one of my top options, but I also like the look of a body mounted tire carrier with no rear bumper, So I have been looking at the genright and the or-fab as well, I would appreciate any opinions on these from the guys that have fan them, and things they liked or did not like about them. Im also open to any other recommendations, My budget is right around the $1000 mark.

I guess first make a firm decision if you want to go bumperless. I really like the bumperless look and for function as well.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

As far as other options, there is EVO and PS. Personally, I think the PS is pretty fugly but that is all I can really say about it.
Another option is to just run the AEV tire carrier with no bumper. It still swings out with the tail gate because it's linked and you still get the departure angle benefit.

Top Bottom