Bikini top questions

okjeep

While I'm quite skilled in everything CJ/YJ, I have some questions regarding bikini tops for the JKU. I'm trying to decide on which kind to get but would like some guidance (opinion) since it's a bit more complicated than just tossing it on or taking it off and folding it up to store under the back seat. Not very fancy but worked.

Bestop has two options, cable and no-cable. The no-cable bikini attaches to a header (sold separately) that secures/clamps to the windshield and then has flaps that wrap to the sport bar and straps to secure it tight. The cable option has the header built in and the bikini secures to the door surrounds and then straps to secure it tight.

I'm looking for pros and cons for each. Can either be removed and stored easily for open air enjoyment then tossed on when needed? Can you run the cable version without the door tops? Where do you store the header when not in use? Which one do you have/run?

Clark Collins

no cable

I have the no cable one and it works fine. The windshield header just rolls up with the fabric top to stow it. I don't have the door surrounds. When it rains you get rain coming in between the doors and the top. I don't know how the price compares to the cable one, but I'm satisfied with mine.

DSCF2366 (800x450).jpg

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433181756.616765.jpg

Non cable version. I like it quite a bit. You just have to keep tightening it as it relaxes. It will do a decent enough job keeping most of a light rain out without door surrounds.

okjeep

Great looking rigs there too! thanks for the information.

irishjk, which bikini are you running?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
If you could use a new top, or want a new look and have the extra cash, I would reccomend getting the trektop nx. Its a regualr top and also a bikini in one which is a nice feature. I sure miss that part from when I sold mine to go back to a stock top. just my :twocents:

t8er

If you can swing the trektop I'd recommend that. You get a full top, bikini top plus it also has the sunrider feature. I was on a budget and scored free door surrounds and got a screaming deal on the smittybuilt slant back top. That gives you a full top or bikini but no sunrider feature.

As stated, the trektop nx is awesome. If you can swing it, i did and use it year round. Sold my factory top to recoup some cash

rinkishjk

I just upgraded to the trektop, and I love it so far! Sunrider is way easier to open than the stock jku Sunrider top. And it also has the bikini top like the others said. Also I would highly recommend installing it on warm sunny day like they suggest, instead of my immediate gratification do it on the cold cloudy day and the rear Windows don't go in fully! :banghead::beer:

Attachments

• 1433269844430.jpg
    1433269844430.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 87

Commando_JKU

If you already have door surrounds, get the bikini top. If you don't have door surrounds get the trek top. Here are the reason I say that. If you get a bikini top and don't have door surrounds, you will get wet when it rains. If you do have door surrounds a bikini top is a GREAT inexpensive accessory. Door surrounds will run you between $200-500 for a JKU. With that said, if you don't have door surrounds and don't want to shell out that kind of money for them, get a trek top. You'll have spent around the same amount, but as other have noted you'll get both a top, and bikini top.
Cheers!

okjeep

We picked up a new in box soft top from a guy that had dual tops. Just waiting on knobs to show up so we can install. I like the cable version of the bikini since it closes off to the door surrounds but once you pull the door surrounds off does the cable version flap more than the non-cable version that has flaps to secure it to the sport bar?

the nx top reminds me of the fast back top I made for my stretched cj....dang I miss that jeep!

JeepTop1.JPG

Top Bottom