Anyone notice road noise?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I put together a video of an experiment in road noise differences between my wife's car and the JK. You guessed it, the JK was significantly louder. Ha ha! So what? I Love My JK. I'm sure most of us don't even notice.

Here's a link to a waste of about 30 seconds of your life. :yup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7nmIV2rOE

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
haha yeah the JK is a little louder. I tend to notice mine when I am parked in a parking lot the most. I always think my rear window came loose somehow.

Donny

Yes there is a big diff in noise level BUT you have to admit....it is kinda comforting :cool:

Donny

GCM 2

Haha! You know, I go from my wife's new Mercedes to my jeep and it's definitely one end of the spectrum to the other :icon_crazy: Now if my doors and top are off with my Mud Grapplers howling across grooved pavement you are talking industrial grade tones there!

GCM 2

eh, what was the question? you'll have to speak a little louder :crazyeyes::D

(conversation over the CB) "HE SAID DO YOU NOTICE ANY........AWWW, FORGET IT! IT CAN WAIT UNTIL WE STOP FOR GAS!"

Eddie, not sure you remember when we crossed that long bridge over Lake Michigan (the Mackinaw?) on the JKX. But everyone in my rig was very surprised at how quiet the tires were on the long span of expanded metal grate. Thought for sure it was going to be screaming with all the JK's on it!

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Thx for the video. It pretty well nails it. When the drone of the tires begins to intrude into the cabin of our JKU we just jack up Outlaw Country on the sat radio. We're stone stock so it's still a fair over the road vehicle. We lived in Colorado in the 60's & 70's with a hot rod '48 flattie. It was WAY louder than the JKU. It was all we had so we bought a Warn OD and did road trips in it. When we'd get a deep snow I was always the first one to work and sometimes the only one at work. Never missed a paycheck. I regret selling it.:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
(conversation over the CB) "HE SAID DO YOU NOTICE ANY........AWWW, FORGET IT! IT CAN WAIT UNTIL WE STOP FOR GAS!"

yup, that about sums it up :crazyeyes:

Eddie, not sure you remember when we crossed that long bridge over Lake Michigan (the Mackinaw?) on the JKX. But everyone in my rig was very surprised at how quiet the tires were on the long span of expanded metal grate. Thought for sure it was going to be screaming with all the JK's on it!

now that you mention it, interesting. i wonder if the grate actually acted as a dampener by allowing sound to pass through it as opposed to reflecting back up at us.

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
I don't notice how loud mine is any more. Or maybe it is because I'am more tone death, after 4 year's of driving around with only a soft top.:hmm:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Glad to see all the responses. Hahaha this was fun and I know as Jeep owners we just deal with it. Most of us GLADLY deal with it.

Last edited:

my_jk

Even with a hardtop I hear a lot of wind noise from my roof rack and lights, but thats what the radio is great for. :rock:

Rivertoys

Oh yeah.... I split my commute between my suburban ltz and the Jeep. Just night and day in everyway! The Burb is big, soft, comfy, warm, and very very very quiet... like the lounge in a fine hotel. THEN there's the jeep... like a dive bar with a house band on a Saturday night!!!
crazyeyes.gif

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Oh yeah.... I split my commute between my suburban ltz and the Jeep. Just night and day in everyway! The Burb is big, soft, comfy, warm, and very very very quiet... like the lounge in a fine hotel. THEN there's the jeep... like a dive bar with a house band on a Saturday night!!!
crazyeyes.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself RiverToys.

JK'AJUN

Took my first "long trip" in the Jeep today, 2 hours one way. The vehicle I had prior was a '11 GMC Sierra. And I have to say, the road noise sounded about the same between both vehicles. I did notice driving around town and on back country roads which I'll go 40-50mph, theres a lot of "ghost sounding" wind noise coming from the top of the windshield. But on the interstate today driving 70-80, that sound didn't happen. I'm please overall, especially for me having a soft top.

Top Bottom