Help! My 3.8 is scaring me

JakeJK

My 3.8 is making an awful rattling sound any time it is under any stress and suggestions besides the exhaust manifold heat shield being broken? Kinda nervous considering it's the first car I've bought and it's only got 52k miles on it 2010 model.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I have a 2007 JKUR and I switched to 10W-30 (Dino oil) at the first oil change and noticed a small decrease in engine noise. I'm not an expert but I've been running it with that grade of oil for the last 5 years with no issues so far. I'm at 69,500ish on the odometer. I normally only find the engine to be about a half a quart low when I change the oil just past the 3,000 mile mark.

Jeep2010

My 3.8 is making an awful rattling sound any time it is under any stress and suggestions besides the exhaust manifold heat shield being broken? Kinda nervous considering it's the first car I've bought and it's only got 52k miles on it 2010 model.

I don't know exactly what I heard but it sounded somewhat similar to a pre-ignition thing? Try running 91 octane in it. It cured mine up and I have the 3.8 with 136k on it and ever since I did that it helped. Maybe I'm way off but food for thought I guess.

JakeJK

I don't know exactly what I heard but it sounded somewhat similar to a pre-ignition thing? Try running 91 octane in it. It cured mine up and I have the 3.8 with 136k on it and ever since I did that it helped. Maybe I'm way off but food for thought I guess.

Thanks! Put some on it just now hopefully it'll help

JakeJK

I can't hear anything on that short video

I know it was hard to get it to make the noise, it only happens when running at 2k rpm so it was hard to catch the noise riding by, it doesn't do it in neutral so I can't record it in park I'll try again when I have some more time

longarmwj

Might be a stupid suggestion but have you checked the heat shield? I know in my daily driver (Nissan maxima) it started rattling and I thought it was a rod about to be thrown but it turned out to be that. Climb underneath it (after its cooled down) and push on the exhaust pipe vigorously and see if you hear anything that sounds like what you hear.

David1tontj

Also sometimes the flywheel inspection cover can make noise if bolts are loose/ missing.

I would crawl under it and just start tapping on everything... And listen for that same rattle. Engine off and cool.

Zstairlessone

If you look at the heat shield make sure you check the one that crosses and you have to pull/pry fairly hard to see the broken bead. Just put a hose clamp on each end really tight and see if the noise goes away, pretty cheap test (and fix)

JakeJK

If you look at the heat shield make sure you check the one that crosses and you have to pull/pry fairly hard to see the broken bead. Just put a hose clamp on each end really tight and see if the noise goes away, pretty cheap test (and fix)

Will do it seems like that is relatively common from what I've read I'll get under her tomorrow thanks all!

Brankz

Mine makes a ticking noise when cold for about 3 minutes till my jeep gets hot, I read online and it's normal the dealer that I purchased the jeep from took it to the real jeep dealer and they say it's normal

My 2 door made a similar noise like yours after hours of driving uphill

I guess is just a jeep thing lol

if you YouTube jeep jk engine noise you'll find lots of videos about it

Hope it's nothing major for you

Top Bottom