Mojave Cross Run 2012

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in 1934, a cross was errected high on top of a rocky outcrop out in the middle of the Mojave Desert to serve as a memorial to those who died in WWI. For the last 13 years, this cross had become a source of controversy and litigation and was eventually stollen back in 2010 after the Supreme Court determined that it could remain standing. Thanks to a lot of hard work and the dedication of those who fought for its existance, the National Parks Service eventually paid to have the land the cross sat on sectioned off, signs put in place to indicate this was private property and established a plaque to identify it as an official war memorial. On Veterans Day 2012, the 1-acre parcel was officially commemorated as a war memorial and handed over to the VFW. Last weekend, 12 Jeeps including our own went out to visit this memorial and, here are some photos from our trip. I hope you enjoy.

Here's a shot of what it looked like back in 2010, back when litigation at the fedral level was still well underway and before it was stolen...
main.php

Heading out on the moring of our trip, there was some doubt as to how our day would go...
main.php

But, once we were up and over the mountians, we knew it was going to be a great day to be out in the desert...
main.php

Meeting up with the rest of the crew over in Victorville...
main.php

Breakfast at Bravo Burger, a WAYALIFE tradition...
main.php

Airing down before hitting the trail...
main.php

Handing out some trash sacks to help keep the trails clean...
main.php

There are times where these water crossings can be extremely deep but, today wasn't going to be one of them...
main.php

main.php

main.php

2nd water crossing...
main.php

main.php

Jamming through Afton Canyon...
main.php

Stopping at the other side of the canyon to pose for a pic and grab a rock for later...
main.php

main.php

Driving out into the middle of Soda Dry Lake...
main.php

main.php

Everyone posing on top of the Travelers Monument with their rocks before adding it to the pile...
main.php

main.php

A few poser shots at the Travelers Monument...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Time to make our way to the next stop...
main.php

Stopping over at the Cinder Cone National Natural Landmark for lunch and to explore the lava tubes...
main.php

Climbing down into the lava tubes...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

After a bit more driving, we arrived at the place that got this whole run going in the first place - the newly re-established Mojave Cross War Memorial...
main.php

Sunrise Rock is out in the middle of nowhere but, you can see why someone would want to errect a war memorial here...
main.php

Time to get a closer look...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And, time for a group shot...
main.php

main.php

Shot from the top of Sunrise Rock looking down at our Jeeps...
main.php

Gorgeous day to be out in the Mojave...
main.php

At camp at last...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Oh yeah, it's HONEY TIME!!!
main.php

CHEERS!!
main.php

Good times with good friends...
main.php

A few more pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sunrise the following morning...
main.php

main.php

main.php

It was a close call with about half our group running on fumes but, after packing up and heading out, we all made it safely to gas...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Paul ended up needed the most go-go juice. Had he not adding 2.5 gallons of gas back at camp, he may not have made it...
main.php

Half our group airing up and getting ready to head for home...
main.php

After saying our goodbyes, the rest of us made our way up to Hole in the Wall to do a short hike...
main.php

Tessa making sure that we're coming as we hiked up the Hole in the Rock trail...
main.php

It really is pretty in here...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Frank and Carl peeking through one of the many holes in the rock...
main.php

Time to climb up the rings...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Time to air up and head for home...
main.php

main.php

Riding into the sunset...
main.php

I hope you enjoyed our trip out to the Mojave Cross. For those of you who were able to join us, I thank you for making this adventure as fun as it was and hope you'll come out to play again. :cool:

13JKUR

Great pics Eddie! Can I ask a favor? You should take some of the scenary photos vertical instead of horizontal so I can use them as a background photo on my iPhone ;).

Blonda

Great pics. Had an awesome :thumb: Thanks again to you and Cindy for organizing and leading us :D

my_jk

Great pictures Eddie and Cindy thanks again for a great trip. I just dropped off my jeep today to get a lift and 37" tires put on it so hopefully I will get to do some more challenging trails with you guys soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great pictures Eddie and Cindy thanks again for a great trip. I just dropped off my jeep today to get a lift and 37" tires put on it so hopefully I will get to do some more challenging trails with you guys soon.

:cheesy: seriously?? well, congrats to you if you did and look forward to seeing your jeep all hooked up :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Great pictures! Looks like I missed a fun one. Saw some familiar faces in the pics. Hope to see you guys again soon.

mm4x4

Cindy... your take awesome pics! :2thumbsup: Great memories each time I attend these trips. Thanks Eddie and Cindy... :rock:

Top Bottom