JK Center Console Removal, Easy Park Brake Disconnect(and reconnect)

Kwestie

Had a stressful situation my first time replacing the transfer case lever's faulty plastic bushing, couldn't get the darn center console off!>:idontknow:

I'm sure a lot of folks out there know exactly what to do but I see that with no write ups, guys like myself are having a hard time:sFun_hot:

Found out as much that I need to get the park brake lever high enough so that the console can slide up and over it, but no posts on how to SIMPLY disconnect the park brake cables. The dealer service assistant had a complicated process of jacking up and removing everything on the rear wheel hubs down to the brake discs in order to do so.:thinking:

All you need to do is unhook the cables on either rear wheel hub and hook it back when you're done.

Tools used:

Long Nose Pliers
Hand Vise
No8 Wrench
Torx 30
Flat head screw driver

IMG_5305 (1280x853).jpg

First off, park on a level surface, chock the wheels and put car into "park" or 1st gear and LOWER the park brake lever.
The park brake is a cable activated drum/shoe system on the rear wheel hub.

On the inside, front end of the brake drum/disc you'll see a cable, spring tensioned, hooked to a metal shaft. Using the long nose pliers in a twisting motion unhook the cable lug from the shaft. You will need to exert some force, after all it is designed to not just fall out.
IMG_5299 (1280x853).jpg

Remove the transfer case lever's knob; that will require a lot of force; don't knock yourself out! I did see someone use a shifting wrench as a lever to wiggle it off from underneath. Whatever works best for you!
image-610518560.jpg

Pry off the cover just in front of the gear levers; flat screw driver worked just fine(Thanks to Project JK for the pic!)
DSC01969.jpg

Pull the park brake lever all the way up(almost perpendicular), loosen ONLY the 4 Torx30 bolts around the base of the console(seats will have to be moved to the front and back stops respectively to get to the bolts) and with a bit of wiggling it should come straight up!

Getting everything inside the cab back together is the reverse order of the above.

Reattaching the cables to shaft is a little tricky! First make sure the park brake lever is ALL THE WAY DOWN!(obviously the center console is back in the cab and in its position)

Clamp the No8 Wrench in the hand vise perpendicular; with open end of the wrench out
IMG_5304 (1280x853).jpg

Then use the vise/wrench as a lever to "twist" the cable lug back into the shaft
IMG_5300 (1280x853).jpg

Check that the park brake engages properly and your done:thumb:

Top Bottom