Oil consumption

junior3382

I tried to search to see if this has already been discussed. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places..... but....

I have a 2012 JKU. 3.6l. It's consuming oil faster then I can put it in. 3.5 quarts in less the 2 weeks. Left me sit and dropped into limp mode several times... I keep oil with me... but really?

It has 60k miles on it. Outside of the motor is dry 100%. There are absolutely no oil leaks! And I'm not seeing smoke out the exhaust.

Is this a known problem? Where is it going?

I have an appointment with the dealer at the end of this week for them to check it out, but I want to educate myself before I go. It's still under warranty and if something major needs done... I just don't want them to try to bullshit me is all...

Anyone else see this? Or have this issue?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ttfhell and Crippledpetey both have had this issue. One has had to replace his motor on his own dime the other is about to.

Dealer blames aftermarket cold air intake and other aftermarket parts. Commonly the cylinders are being scored by dirt ingested into the intake.

JAGS

Hooked
Ttfhell and Crippledpetey both have had this issue. One has had to replace his motor on his own dime the other is about to.

Dealer blames aftermarket cold air intake and other aftermarket parts. Commonly the cylinders are being scored by dirt ingested into the intake.

Throw Strainger and piginajepp into this right. And I think Rubicat had/has some oil consumption issue too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, we're starting to see more and more of this with the 3.6L motor and, while we do see more of it on Jeeps with cold air intakes, there have been a couple which were still running the factory air box. piginajeep and Strainger are just two examples. Unfortunately, if your Jeep is modified, you might be screwed but a new motor is what you are needing. Sorry for the bad news.

jeffro

I had a totally stock 07 Sahara in 2010, 37000 ish miles on it already, at my first "almost" 3000 miles, I heard some clatter or tapping noises. There was no oil on the dipstick, it was 2 quarts low.

Changed the oil and kept an eye on it, after 2000 miles it was a quart low. added a quart and called the dealer.

They changed oil and filter, And then I had to go to the dealer every 1000 miles to get it checked and sure enough at 2000 miles it was a quart low.

Basically Chrysler\Mopar said that a quart of oil loss in 2000 miles was acceptable.....

I traded it 1st chance I got.

07rub

i had this issue with my 07 rubicon, tried 6 different oil brands b4 i found one that doesnt consume oil, royal purple was the worst at a litter a week, now im running enos and half a litter every 10k, im not saying its ur problem but i seen it alot at work (subaru dealer) so that might be an option id ur dealer doesnt wana help u

jeffro

i had this issue with my 07 rubicon, tried 6 different oil brands b4 i found one that doesnt consume oil, royal purple was the worst at a litter a week, now im running enos and half a litter every 10k, im not saying its ur problem but i seen it alot at work (subaru dealer) so that might be an option id ur dealer doesnt wana help u

The dealer acted like they wanted to help, they seemed sincere, it was when they contacted Mopar Headquaters, they gave me the "its ok to use that much oil, there is nothing we can do, if you want a new motor, its your dollar"

I wasn't happy being my 1st jeep, but I didn't give up, just put oil in every 2000 miles :)

I will say this, I have no clue what the 1st owner did to it, I don't think it was modified then returned to its normal Jeep self, I think it was a soccer mom jeep before I got it.

Havoc40

Just yesterday I had my ol' lady move the Jeep ('14 JKUR) from in front of the garage. Had it backed into the driveway and sitting since Saturday. When she fired it up, a large plume of smoke came out of the tail pipe...no doubt it was oil. Just clicked over 19k and nothing done to the engine. I'm going to pull a few spark plugs and look into the cylinder with my bore scope this weekend.

Looks like I'll probably be pulling the engine from my Vette sooner than later to swap :grayno:

JAGS

Hooked

I think others on here would like the story behind this and if any other engine problems have occurred on you 07. There are several folks right now dealing with engine and oil consumption issues.

Actually mopar states 1 quart per 1000 miles is an acceptable rate of loss.

Like everyone said read some of our build threads for your future. Sorry for you loss :(

07JKSahara

Somewhat unrelated, but my 2007 3.8L burned oil until I switched to Mobil 1, it also had a tiny leak (drip every week or so). Mobil 1 fixed both, but who knows for how long. FYI, I have 86k on the motor.

Havoc40

Actually mopar states 1 quart per 1000 miles is an acceptable rate of loss.

I just can't [personally] see that as being acceptable :crazyeyes:. With the craze of big turbo's and high RPM naturally aspirated combo's, I've built some engines with VERY light ring packages. Still, any one of my customers would be screaming at that kind of consumption rate. When I do swap mine to an LS, I'll do a complete dimensional layout on the 3.6L. My bet the problems stem from; piston to bore clearance, ring groove design, ring material, or cylinder bore and finish.

I do virgin and used oil analysis multiple times per month for work. Next oil change I'm going to throw mine in and see what pops up. Changing oil brands or viscosity is just putting a Band-Aid on the underlying issue. The only thing that's changing is a very small difference in kinematic viscosity and viscosity index. Neither of these "should" have an effect on the rate of oil consumption in question.

Some people have a different tolerance for these types of things, though. Personally, I can't stand my engines using oil.

Last edited:
I just can't [personally] see that as being acceptable :crazyeyes:. With the craze of big turbo's and high RPM naturally aspirated combo's, I've built some engines with VERY light ring packages. Still, any one of my customers would be screaming at that kind of consumption rate. When I do swap mine to an LS, I'll do a complete dimensional layout on the 3.6L. My bet the problems stem from; piston to bore clearance, ring groove design, ring material, or cylinder bore and finish.

I do virgin and used oil analysis multiple times per month for work. Next oil change I'm going to throw mine in and see what pops up. Changing oil brands or viscosity is just putting a Band-Aid on the underlying issue. The only thing that's changing is a very small difference in kinematic viscosity and viscosity index. Neither of these "should" have an effect on the rate of oil consumption in question.

Some people have a different tolerance for these types of things, though. Personally, I can't stand my engines using oil.

Oh I AGREE 100% when they told me that I had to ask them to repeat it :shock:

Siebermd

I have an 07 Rubi and 08 Sahara. Both use oil and I have to stay on top of it. I have a ritual to check oil every Friday. If it needs a little, I add a little. I always use Castrol, sometimes it uses a lot, sometimes it stays perfectly serviced for weeks. Unfortunately these new Jeeps have their quirks. But the old ones did too. If you love your machine, take care of it, keep an eye on it, and nurse it when it needs nursing. Its unfortunate that some are using more then others. I hope that the new Diesels (if we ever see them) live up to their reputation. If it weren't so danged expensive, Id toss a 4BT in there in a heartbeat. But for now... check that oil like religion.

I have an 07 Rubi and 08 Sahara. Both use oil and I have to stay on top of it. I have a ritual to check oil every Friday. If it needs a little, I add a little. I always use Castrol, sometimes it uses a lot, sometimes it stays perfectly serviced for weeks. Unfortunately these new Jeeps have their quirks. But the old ones did too. If you love your machine, take care of it, keep an eye on it, and nurse it when it needs nursing. Its unfortunate that some are using more then others. I hope that the new Diesels (if we ever see them) live up to their reputation. If it weren't so danged expensive, Id toss a 4BT in there in a heartbeat. But for now... check that oil like religion.

I agree but honestly I checked mine the same way and before every trail. Sometimes it would be good sometimes it would need 2.5 quarts. What is going on is not just a random lack of maintenance. These 3.6 motors have something flawed somewhere. Whether it be due to higher rpm's, design, etc. it is no coincidence that this many head issues and oil consumption issues are just a common occurrence.

HoosierWolf

A long time friend of my wife's has an '07 JKU and she told me recently that it started burning oil. I'm not sure how much but enough it concerned her.

The dealership was able to verify and she messaged me a couple of weeks ago that they are going to install a new engine under warranty. Didn't seem like they fought her over it. Her jeep is bone stock. She lives in Chicago. I've no other details but if you guys have any questions you would like to me to ask her regarding her issues or engine replacement I would be happy to.

Clark Collins

I have to wonder how many folks with oil consumption issues have experimented with different oils before the problem surfaced. I have a 2010 with the 3.8 and got the lifetime oil and filter change as part of my purchase at the local dealer. My Jeep at over 38K has never used a drop of oil and gets the Penzoil 5/20 every 3,000 miles. I asked one of the parts guys at the dealership, who wheels with us in his 2007 JKU with nearly 60k, if he has had any issues and he said not. I remember having a vehicle at one time that I changed brands of oil with and had consumption issues. Can't remember what vehicle it was (I'm 73 - old timers setting in), but like I said earlier I have to wonder if messing around with different oils could be part of the problem.

Brent McCartney

This post is a little disturbing. I just sold my 2004 Silverado for my 2015 JKU. My old Silverado had 300k on it and never burned a drop of oil.
Question is when did it start burning oil? I just passed 1000 mi wondering if it is first oil change time. Maybe Jeep has issue with cleanliness during motor assembly.

Just a thought on longevity of the motor.

Top Bottom