Wilderness designation

Clark Collins

A post on another forum prompted this post. On that forum an "overlander" from Oklahoma was referring to areas he visited in Utah as "Wilderness areas." I've not seen this as an issue on Wayolife, but think perhaps I should post my response on that other forum here as well. OHV advocacy groups need all the help they can get on public land access issues. Following is my post concerning the misuse of the term "Wilderness." I hope this is the right Forum to post it on.

I do feel the need to point out an issue with your referencing some of the areas you visit as "Wilderness areas." Being that you are from Oklahoma you may not be aware of the threat of congressional Wilderness designation for many of our off-highway recreation areas in the West. In Utah particularly, Wilderness advocates have been pushing the Red Rock Wilderness Act that would prohibit all vehicular access to many of the areas we visit in Utah. Do a Google search on "Red Rock Wilderness legislation" and you should be able to see what areas are threatened. OHV enthusiasts referring to areas we visit as "Wilderness" can lead to a miss-understanding of the threat of congressional Wilderness designation. I would suggest that you use the term "Backcountry areas" in the future to refer to the areas you visit.

I founded the BlueRibbon Coalition in 1987 to deal with the fact that well funded Wilderness advocacy groups were running rough shod over OHV enthusiasts (dirt bikers, 4x4 enthusiasts, ATV riders and snowmobilers) and our interests were under represented on a national level. Do a Google search on "BlueRibbon Coalition" or go to the website Home | BlueRibbon Coalition for information on BRC. I retired as Executive Director of BRC in 2006 and was inducted into the ORMV Hall of Fame that year. I was also inducted into the American Motorcyclist Hall of Fame in 2010. These honors were in recognition of my advocacy work in defending OHV access on a national level while most of the other inductees are there because of their racing skills. BRC is under new leadership now and needs the support of more OHV enthusiasts as the Wilderness advocates are extremely well funded and capitalize on a general misunderstanding of what Wilderness designation really means.

Just wanted to point out that it's important for OHV enthusiasts to understand that Wilderness designation is a threat to our access.

jeff_in_rc

A well stated letter there Clark, thank you! And thank you for your hard work with the BRC!

It burns me up when I hear people use the term wilderness to describe where they use their choice of off-road vehicle, get it right people, big brother and the anti-OHV groups are watching us on a daily basis. And don't think they don't, I have had a working relationship with a USFS Ranger for several years and he has told me of the things people post that he got from higher up the management chain.

Clark Collins

A well stated letter there Clark, thank you! And thank you for your hard work with the BRC!

It burns me up when I hear people use the term wilderness to describe where they use their choice of off-road vehicle, get it right people, big brother and the anti-OHV groups are watching us on a daily basis. And don't think they don't, I have had a working relationship with a USFS Ranger for several years and he has told me of the things people post that he got from higher up the management chain.

The issue is that even some OHV enthusiasts don't realize that Wilderness designation absolutely prohibits vehicular access and may unwittingly support additional Wilderness designations. The Wilderness advocates sometimes deliberately cloud the issue so people who just want our public lands left "as is" will support their agenda. Many of the areas threatened with Wilderness designation in the West are heavily used for OHV recreation, but are still technically "Roadless" because the routes are not maintained by mechanical equipment.

At other times, particularly in Utah, they use the "threat of OHV damage" to convince people in Urban areas that these areas need protection FROM us. They raise millions from well meaning people who just want to show their concern for the environment by contributing to the Sierra Club - Wilderness Society et all. OHV advocacy groups, many of whom are actively involved in real on the ground conservation and public land stewardship, must rely solely on financial support from OHV enthusiasts. And unfortunately the majority of OHVers aren't joiners. It's a real lopsided battle and it is never ending.

Every subscriber to this forum should be members of as many OHV advocacy groups as they can afford. Support your local club, your statewide association and the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) on the national level. For the price of a tank of gas you can help even the odds.

jeff_in_rc

The issue is that even some OHV enthusiasts don't realize that Wilderness designation absolutely prohibits vehicular access and may unwittingly support additional Wilderness designations. The Wilderness advocates sometimes deliberately cloud the issue so people who just want our public lands left "as is" will support their agenda. Many of the areas threatened with Wilderness designation in the West are heavily used for OHV recreation, but are still technically "Roadless" because the routes are not maintained by mechanical equipment.

At other times, particularly in Utah, they use the "threat of OHV damage" to convince people in Urban areas that these areas need protection FROM us. They raise millions from well meaning people who just want to show their concern for the environment by contributing to the Sierra Club - Wilderness Society et all. OHV advocacy groups, many of whom are actively involved in real on the ground conservation and public land stewardship, must rely solely on financial support from OHV enthusiasts. And unfortunately the majority of OHVers aren't joiners. It's a real lopsided battle and it is never ending.

Every subscriber to this forum should be members of as many OHV advocacy groups as they can afford. Support your local club, your statewide association and the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) on the national level. For the price of a tank of gas you can help even the odds.

I agree with you 1 million percent! As a member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club we also belong to Cal4wheel and to CORVA. I will also bring up the club joining the BRC at our next meeting. You can never help too much in my book.

Too many people have the thought process of "I don't need to join the XYZ group, someone else will" Well that someone else is YOU my friend, if you don't join and help fight the fight against the anti's they will continue to walk all over the OHV community. I have seen it all to often and it scares the crap out of me that people won't take the time to help in any way but boy-o-boy will they holler when their favorite trail gets closed.

It truly is a double edged sword.

jkbarnett

I heard yesterday at our Eastern Sierra 4x4 club meeting that the Forest Service is looking at 6 areas that might want to be designated as Wilderness areas. This is a first here in the Inyo NF to start making these types of future plans. It would have to go to Congress for approval, but it does have our clubs radar on it.

Top Bottom