Gas Cap warning

kgmrg

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK. I recently replaced a damaged evap canister. I'm now getting a gascap warning on my instrument panel. It comes on each time I start the engine and goes away after I reset it. I 've replaced the gas cap with a factory locking cap,but the problem still persists. Help!:hmm:

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK. I recently replaced a damaged evap canister. I'm now getting a gascap warning on my instrument panel. It comes on each time I start the engine and goes away after I reset it. I 've replaced the gas cap with a factory locking cap,but the problem still persists. Help!:hmm:

Welcome to WAL :standing wave:

I would check the evap canister again... The same code can be thrown from it and you mentioned you just replaced it.

Also, head on over to the give us a wave section and formerly introduce yourself :beer:

thombull

Check the vent line that runs from the back of the gas cap filler to the top of the tank....its small in diameter....where it attaches to the top of the fuel pump....my was cracked and I was getting the same codes....I found it by accident when it completely broke as I barely touched it. I put a piece of rubber hose between the two as a temporary fix and I have not had anymore codes since. I think it cracked because the line runs under the emergency brake cables and when the rear suspension is flexed the cables pull on it. Then run the vent line above the cables. Hope this helps.

kornchip

My check engine light was flashing at me last summer so i stopped at advanced auto. The guy said it was the O ring on the cap. He said if you get Chapstick on the o ring it would fix the problem. It actually worked. Guess the higher amounts of Ethanol dry it out and sets the sensor off.

.. My code was for the evap sensor.

newtdog

I had the same problem on my 2010 and couldn't get it figured out. I finally took it to the stealership and got a new gas tank under warranty!

doojer

Wow, a whole new tank is a pretty nice fix. My gascap warning on my 07 has been on since... oh.... 07. I take it in once in a while to the dealer and they tell me gascap warning is on. Real helpful guys over there!

Btw if putting chapstick on it fixes it, I'm buying a whole carton of it! :lol:

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
If it's just the gas cap and not the evap, chapstick works, I've been using over the last couple of years. about every 8 months it seams to dry out, doesn't take much

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that it was recently replaced, you more than likely have a leak on one of the connections that go to your EVAP.

ThunderCAT

Every now and then I get a warning for check engine or gas cap issue...funny thing..if I go get some gas and filler up, the warnings go away. This has happened twice in the year I have had my jk. Sometimes I will get a check engine light for an hour or two and then it goes away after one or two cranks.

Top Bottom