Question for anyone running Rancho rear extended brake lines

JudeinPa

Yes, another question about extended brake lines…..Normally you torque the stock banjo bolt to 23 ft pounds. I just purchased a set of Rancho rear brake lines and they came with new banjo bolts but look thinner than the stock bolts as the have a larger hole which seem to make them more prone to snapping. They are a bit shorter too. You can't use the stock banjo bolts as the hole will not line up with the Rancho brake lines. Is it OK to torque them to 23 ft pounds?

Last edited:
I am pretty good at torqing my bolts, but I gotta say, I've never in my life torqued a brake line banjo bolt. As long as it's tight enough to crush the copper and seal it should be good. I would think the torque spec is for this more than thread stretch so it should be good. But I'd likely call them to check.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Rancho is here on Wayalife. I moved your thread into their section, but make sure you give them a call tomorrow. I am sure they will be able to answer your question.

YJ_Tom

I just installed the rancho 3 inch kit. It came with the front brake lines. I figured I would do it right and use the torque wrench. Yeah I sheared that banjo bolt right off. Sucks too because you can't find them at an auto parts store. I had to wait for rancho to send me one. Which they did at no charge, and customer service was good. Still was a pita.

JudeinPa

Just got off the phone with Rancho support. I was first told that I should use the same specs as for the stock vehicle. I mentioned that it was 23 Ft pounds and have heard that the supplied banjo bolts were shearing off at 15 Ft lbs. He then said he would look it up. He then told me that 23 ft lbs. would be good. I am not sure how to proceed on this as going less that 23 lbs seems like not enough torque to keep them tight.

YJ_Tom, how many ft lbs did you use when the bolt broke?

YJ_Tom

Not sure I set mine at 23 ft lbs. before it clicked I had sheared it off. It didn't take much. When I got the replacement I tightened it by feel.

To be fair I've never had my torque wrench set that low so I don't know how accurate it is. It's not exactly a cheap torque wrench though.

JudeinPa

Thank you YJ_Tom & Rancho for your replies. I will feel a lot better when setting my torque wrench to 23 lbs before I tighten those banjo bolts.

Top Bottom