37"+ snow chains?

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Does anyone use snow chains on 37" or larger tires? Do they make them for our tires? What do they cost and where can I get some? Are they ever required in the mountains even if you have a capable 4x4? I just want to hear what everyones experience has been!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
as mentioned, you can totally get them in a 37 or larger. doug had a set for his 37's. we've never felt the need to get a set and have yet to come across a time where they were needed. of course, that's not so say that they would never be needed, just that we haven't come across a time when they were.

Blonda

We have Doug's old set. Have not had need to use them yet but maybe this year. They sure are heavy :crazyeyes:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Had to use a set once (1966?) to get over Independence Pass from Leadville to Aspen. I wasn't too worried about the trip up but they came in very handy on the way down. No slippin' and slidin'. Dumbass here had to put them on near the summit in a very bad snowstorm. It was an enormous pain in the butt. The tires were 10x15 on 8" steel wheels. I never used them again, and I wouldn't do it again, but they were worth every penny that day.;)

kyoteman

Since I live in the mountains. I have never had to use my chains. BUT a lot of times if you come up to chain control, if you don't have them in the car, highway patrol or caltrans, who ever is manning the the check point, will not let you pass. Of course my chains don't fit my tires, I just have them to show them.

MTG

Caught the Bug
If the road is so bad that your Jeep will need chains you should probably just stay home. ;)

I've lived in the mountains all my life, snowboarded or skied most of it and can only think of a few times I've ever chained up any vehicle I've owned.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
We head up to the mountains quite a bit and I don’t want to be turned around at a check point. I have put them on my truck but don’t have them for the Jeep. I just wondered if it was something that we would be required to have to get past a check point even with 4wd and beefy tires. :thinking::dont_know:

MTG

Caught the Bug
mcpuck said:
We head up to the mountains quite a bit and I don’t want to be turned around at a check point. I have put them on my truck but don’t have them for the Jeep. I just wondered if it was something that we would be required to have to get past a check point even with 4wd and beefy tires. :thinking::dont_know:

My experience is that it depends on the guy working the checkpoint that day.

Serg5000

I haven't heard anyone mention using them on black ice. Snow I agree you can roll without. However, ice is a different animal.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My experience is that it depends on the guy working the checkpoint that day.

i find that up in tahoe, the officers are better about discerning who should be stopped. up in the big bear area, where don goes up, it's a place that sees a ton of city folk who don't know how to drive in the white stuff and the officers just stop everyone. :rolleyes2:

kyoteman

Put the ones that you have for you truck in your jeep. 9 times out of 10 they are going to just ask if you have chains.

Holeshot

Banned
why not just to get studded tires? Don't really know what are your road conditions during winter and if they would be necessary. But got to say that where I live, studded tires are very popular due to very icy roads and cold temperatures, talking about -30 centirade and even lower sometimes during winter. Just sayin. :standing wave:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Does anyone use snow chains on 37" or larger tires? Do they make them for our tires? What do they cost and where can I get some? Are they ever required in the mountains even if you have a capable 4x4? I just want to hear what everyones experience has been!

I go to Big Bear all the time, the CHP has only asked if I had chains in truck but they have never had me put them on even when it was snowing bad. I keep a set in my jeep but they don't fit my tires. I had a toyota 4x4 truck with 35" and chains but never put them on and cost me $137.00. If that helps any!

Don, I think I have a set (2) of chains for a 37" tire in my storage shed. If I can find them, you can have them. I never used them, but carried them on a couple of snow runs. Let me know.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Don, I think I have a set (2) of chains for a 37" tire in my storage shed. If I can find them, you can have them. I never used them, but carried them on a couple of snow runs. Let me know.

Cool! They have to be worth dinner and a few cold ones, at least! :thumb:

Cool! They have to be worth dinner and a few cold ones, at least! :thumb:

Heck, I'd settle for a cold one after a trail run with you guys - it's been way too long!

Went home for lunch and I found them (still wrapped in plastic). What should I do with them...?

image.jpg

Nicholas

mcpuck said:

I have cables for my 37s that I got a ORW last year but haven't used them yet. I think paid $175.
Ive been required to use chains up in big bear and local mtns when I was stock and running 35s.

Attachments

• image-2705781567.jpg
    image-2705781567.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 93
Top Bottom