2.5 rock krawler lift question

trexburn

I'm wondering what are the other things that need or should be done after adding this lift. It comes with shocks, bump stops, adj. Track bar. I have read that I should get exh. Spacers, and aev geo. correction brackets. Thanks for the help BTW 2012 sport all stock.

Sent from my QMV7B using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Depending on your shocks, If they allow a lot of droop, I would skip the spacers and just spend the money on a front drive shaft. Also skip the geo brackets and get adjustable control arms.
I have no idea what kit you actually got, so no clue on other things you may need.

Utah_Jay

As stated above I would second skipping the correction brackets and get a set of adjustable control arms. Those correction brackets hang down too low for off roading in my opinion. With a 2.5" lift you can probably get by without control arms or correction brackets, I ran my 2.5" lift on the stock arms for 2 years before adding RK lower control arms to the front. I would also consider new shocks vs shock extensions, I am not sure if your kit even has those or not.

trexburn

It's the rock krawler jk 2.5 stock mod kit from north ridge

trexburn

I can't do a new drive shaft or adjustable control arms now pretty much maxed out on budget to buy another 400$ part. The reason I was thinking the bracket is I've seen with the 2.5 lifts you should be OK but I'm concerned the lift might net me more height than 2.5 and the shocks that come with it are blisten 5100 24-...... And the fronts say for lifts 3-5"

Whats your budget? You dont wanna skimp and then end up replacing the parts later. Depending on how much lift you net, the front driveshaft may not be an option because the angle will be too much for the stocker to handle, and it will fail.

Utah_Jay

Whats your budget? You dont wanna skimp and then end up replacing the parts later. Depending on how much lift you net, the front driveshaft may not be an option because the angle will be too much for the stocker to handle, and it will fail.

I agree the front driveshaft may fail....eventually, but several people (myself included) have been running stock driveshafts for 10's of 1000's of miles and it is still running. I run with several people still on their stock DS on 4" lifts. Nothing wrong with building it a little at a time, start with what the kit has then budget for control arms and a DS down the road.

trexburn

Do I need to worry about the brake lines not being long enough? I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions. New to all of this and if I don't build a little at a time I'll be looking for divorce lawyer advice on here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree the front driveshaft may fail....eventually, but several people (myself included) have been running stock driveshafts for 10's of 1000's of miles and it is still running. I run with several people still on their stock DS on 4" lifts. Nothing wrong with building it a little at a time, start with what the kit has then budget for control arms and a DS down the road.

Wait, are you saying that you've run 10's of 1000's of miles with a front drive shaft that has a torn slip shaft boot?

trexburn

2500$ to 3000$ but I have to get tires and spacers also

moorecb3

I run this lift and it will 100% net more then 2.5 inches if you have a two door i got close to 4. A drive shaft would prob be a good idea too I still have the stock one due to budget constraints and it's not looking so good. Going to need to be replaced soon it's probably only lasted as long as it has because I've only wheeled it three times since I've lifted it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do I need to worry about the brake lines not being long enough? I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions. New to all of this and if I don't build a little at a time I'll be looking for divorce lawyer advice on here.

I would assume that your kit will come with brake line drop brackets for the rear as most 2.5" lift kits do. If it doesn't, that's all you'll need. Up front, you'll want to unbolt the brake line from the axle and reroute around your shock. You should be okay with this.

As mentioned earlier, IF you choose to run new shocks that allow for too much droop, you should plan to get a new front drive shaft sooner than later.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Oh, the stock mod. You'll need longer brake lines in the rear, sway bar links, front drive shaft, with those shocks you'll probably need front lower shock relocation brackets, don't forget to relocate your evap skid. You'll rip your rear shaft boot. And yes, you'll gain more that 2.5".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No I have been fortunate enough not to tear the boot......yet. But a DS is my next mod finally.

Okay, sounds to me that you either 1.) running stock length shocks or shock extensions 2.) running longer shocks but never disconnect your sway bar links. For anyone that is and or does, you WILL tear your slip shaft boot and running with one that way for an extended period of time WILL cause other problems including CV joint failure. I have seen it happen.

Just trying to put things into perspective.

resqman911

I have the RK 2.5, I originally ordered the stock mod with drop brackets, but changed my order before I even received it and got the adjustable front lowers. You will get quite a bit of front droop with the shocks they recommend, I tore my slip shaft boot within minutes of hitting the trail. For the front brake lines I removed them from the factory bracket which gave me more than enough brake line to accommodate the droop in the front end, and used relocation brackets on the rear.

So far very happy with the ride quality, and the quality of the parts. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Install was pretty easy.

That may be true, but if you are wheeling it and using the lift for what it was made to do, it will not last. If the money is there its the right move.

2500$ to 3000$ but I have to get tires and spacers also
You set on this lift? Which tires/size?

kyle521

I'm wondering what are the other things that need or should be done after adding this lift. It comes with shocks, bump stops, adj. Track bar. I have read that I should get exh. Spacers, and aev geo. correction brackets. Thanks for the help BTW 2012 sport all stock.

Ive had this lift for over two years now on my 4 door. Is your jeep 2 or 4 door? Im not 100% sure but I think they use the same lift for both so the 2 doors actually net more lift. I run bilsteins and the only thing I added to it were brake line brackets and bump stops. It havent had any issues except for the rear trackbar bracket snapping off in the back, it was only bolted on, they recommend welding it on. I am still on factory drive shafts.

trexburn

Not set on lift, 35/12.5/17 Goodyear mt/r Kevlar is what I'm thinking. Not set on that either. Its a daily driver that I would like to wheel as much as poss. Not a lot of sand or rock crawling, Indiana and surrounding areas. And pardon my ignorance on this matter but are the exhaust spacers supposed to take care of the drive shaft, or is the lift too tall for them to help. Also how does an after market drive shaft help this problem. Just curious.

Top Bottom