Dream build

mackey

Ok, so I have only been without my Jeep about a month now, but I am already planning my future Jeep dream build. It will be a long long time until this can happen, but planning leads to perfection. Lol So, I already have most of everything picked out. My biggest question is which Jeep to get. Do I get a 2012 or newer with the new 3.6 Penstar or do I get an old and cheap stock Jeep and put in the 5.7 VVT V8? The jeep will be an Unlimited JK and I will be running 40s and 60s. So which engine set up is better and why?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
honestly, if it were me, i'd get a 2012 or newer and take the 3.6L over a HEMI any day of the week. sure, a HEMI would be nice but, at 285HP, i think you still have a lot of power, won't have over heating issues and it'll be a hell of a lot more fuel efficient.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
honestly, if it were me, i'd get a 2012 or newer and take the 3.6L over a HEMI any day of the week. sure, a HEMI would be nice but, at 285HP, i think you still have a lot of power, won't have over heating issues and it'll be a hell of a lot more fuel efficient.

I second this. Coming from my big F150 V8 I am pretty happy with the 3.6L. It has a lot of pep and go for a V6 and I am happy with mine. (Even though I am still stock)

gtony12

Caught the Bug

I second that, I had the 2006 Jeep commander with Hemi, it was nice but 8 mpg around town NOT good:icon_crazy:, I traded in for 2012 JK:yup:

mackey

Ok so if I go with the 3.6, the below are my dream mods. Please let me know if I am missing anything or have other suggestions.

- EVO long arm high clearance kit
- EVO Double Throw Down
- King air bumps front and rear
- Dynatrac Prorock 60 front, 5.38 with ARB locker, competition shafts, CTM U-joints, 8 lug with locking hubs
- Dynatrac Prorock 60 rear, 5.38 with ARB locker, full float, competition shafts, CTM U-joints, 8 lug with locking hubs
- EVO high steer
- PSC Ram assist
- Currie Antirock swaybar kits, front and rear
- EVO Protek skids
- ATX 17s beadlock slabs with rings painted black
- Nitto K-Spec 40s Trail Grappler
- EVO 1/4 front bumper
- EVO Rear tire carrier
- EVO rock sliders
- EVO corner skins. I want to run a fender in the front, but nothing in the rear.
- Unknown Sport cage. Need help and opinions.
- JE Reel 1350 drive shafts (maybe Canyon Crawler upgrade)
- What else am, I missing????

Last edited:
I've not driven a 3.6, so I'm not qualified to give you a comparison. I can tell you that I have a Hemi swap in my 2007 and the engine has been flawless, and the smile on my face every time I press on the gas makes the low mileage more than worth it.

mackey

It's a hard decision. Some people say the love the hemi and have had no problems. Others have said they have overheating issues. I was considering having Jeep Speed Shop do the conversion as they can guarantee it to be California smog legal.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a hard decision. Some people say the love the hemi and have had no problems. Others have said they have overheating issues. I was considering having Jeep Speed Shop do the conversion as they can guarantee it to be California smog legal.

the 3.6L puts out 285 hp as is and i have little doubt that mopar will release performance kits that'll get it up to the 305 level that challengers get with it now. all this will be covered under your warranty AND give you way better mpg. if i could get one for my 07, i would do it in a heartbeat and over a hemi any day of the week. but, that's just me :yup:

According to my friend Jim Cox, JSS is a great shop and they definitely know what they are doing. I have not had any overheating problems with my Hemi conversion and I just had it smogged, so I think I'm good for awhile. I decided to go with the 6.1L Hemi that came out of a SRT8 Jeep that produces (I think) about 425 h.p. My plan is to go with a 426 Stroker kit that will get the engine up to about 600 horses.

But, seriously, there are many people on this forum who have more experience than I, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I only have about 2 years of experience with JK's. :thumb:

StrizzyChris

- King air bumps front and rear
- EVO high steer

You do not need the air bumps when you have the double throw down system. The bypass shock functions as your air bump. Also i dont believe the evo high steer will work with Pro rock 60 axles. Dynatrac makes their own high steer and you would want to go with that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You do not need the air bumps when you have the double throw down system. The bypass shock functions as your air bump.

this is true, you can use the last bypass as an air bump and it's what we use them for. but, if you drive really hard and fast, air bumps are still desirable to have.

Also i dont believe the evo high steer will work with Pro rock 60 axles. Dynatrac makes their own high steer and you would want to go with that.

actually, i do believe you are wrong about this. evo makes the high steer kit - not dynatrac.

mackey

I called Off Road Evolution. EVO does make a high steer system that works with the ProRock 60s. Thanks for the info on the air bumps. It will save me some money for other stuff :)

StrizzyChris

actually, i do believe you are wrong about this. evo makes the high steer kit - not dynatrac.

Hmmm. When i was pricing my future PR60, they said that they had a high steer option when they build them. Wonder if they are referring to EVO and they use them. But i could swear that it was their very own custom version. I may be mistaken though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm. When i was pricing my future PR60, they said that they had a high steer option when they build them. Wonder if they are referring to EVO and they use them. But i could swear that it was their very own custom version. I may be mistaken though.

dynatrac and evo work closely together and i wouldn't doubt that might have been what they were referring to.

StrizzyChris

378872_10151249031623680_772001776_n.jpg

EVO just posted this pic on Facebook. This was the setup that i was thinking was Dynatracs own high steer kit. Now ill have to call them to clarify, because i dont want to give out bad info.

mackey

Ok. So I believe Dynatrac makes those brackets but EVO provides their own Tie Rod. I once spoke with Mel about the Tie Rod on Moby and I thought he told me it was all EVO manufactured. Also am I missing anything else with the build???

1BAMFR

My Dream build?

Exact replica of Moby...but Silver!

I started with 35's, Now have 37's...40's are coming!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

Prime8

mackey said:
Ok. So I believe Dynatrac makes those brackets but EVO provides their own Tie Rod. I once spoke with Mel about the Tie Rod on Moby and I thought he told me it was all EVO manufactured. Also am I missing anything else with the build???

Not to hijack, but this brings up a question... Can I buy an EVO tie rod without buying the PR60? I've never seen them for sale on their site and I don't like the huge size of this RK one.

mackey

I have no idea? I believe it is meant to work with the Hi-Steer set up. You would have to call ORE or maybe Eddie knows

Top Bottom