PSC Hydro Assist Steering Fluid

Davwashere

I'm installing a PSC hydro assist system on my JK and I wanted to find out what brand of power steering fluid people are using. I know PSC recommends Swepco 715 but I am curious if other brands are better.

07silverjk

Is power steering fluid what PSC recommends? I have heard guys using automatic transmission fluid with the PSC set up. I have talked to redneck ram and they use the automatic (but they are also using the stock steering box.)

I am just wondering for my interest on this one.

ttfhell

Is power steering fluid what PSC recommends? I have heard guys using automatic transmission fluid with the PSC set up. I have talked to redneck ram and they use the automatic (but they are also using the stock steering box.)

I am just wondering for my interest on this one.

Yes it's the only thing they recommend.

Krawl

PSC at one time (5 years or so) ago recommended Royal Purple...if I remember correctly their instructions clearly stated NOT to use standard ATF or the Valvoline Synthetic.

jeeeep

Hooked
what others have said, no ATF fluid per PSC instructions. When I was having issues with my system I took it to PSC and found the installer had used ATF, PSC told me to flush it and use power steering or swepco fluid only or the warranty would be void.

Swepco has some extra modifiers to reduce wear and handle a higher pressures of the hydro steering under heavy use over your standard power steering fluid.

That said, I flushed the ATF out with O'Reilly brand power steering fluid and then filled it using the O'Reilly brand since the Swepco had not arrived in time before my trip to EJS. It's been handling fine several thousand miles later.

I do plan to drain and use the Swepco and you shouldn't need to change the fluid often, just make sure to check it once in a while and top it off if needed (unless you have a leak it does not get used up). Should last you a good 100,000+ miles

SFNick

Quick question: I just upgraded my Ram from a 1.5x6 to a 1.75x8 when getting the air out of the system do I need to cycle the suspension with the ram not connected to the tie rod since the ram has more travel? I'm having issues with it over flowing & I've cycled this thing 100 times with the wheels off the ground & thought it was fixed but when I go 65-70 on the interstate & check the fluid level it's always down quit a bit due to overflowing. Any suggestions? I'm already running the PSC pump, steering box, res, & Elixir PS fluid.

jeeeep

Hooked
Quick question: I just upgraded my Ram from a 1.5x6 to a 1.75x8 when getting the air out of the system do I need to cycle the suspension with the ram not connected to the tie rod since the ram has more travel? I'm having issues with it over flowing & I've cycled this thing 100 times with the wheels off the ground & thought it was fixed but when I go 65-70 on the interstate & check the fluid level it's always down quit a bit due to overflowing. Any suggestions? I'm already running the PSC pump, steering box, res, & Elixir PS fluid.

make sure the ram is connected, are you doing the initial bleed without the motor running? it should be bled without the motor running and should not be filled all the way. you'll notice the fluid drops as you cycle the steering, only fill it to the point where you barely notice it drop, don't overfill it.

From PSC instructions:
1. The vehicle’s battery should always be disconnected before any modifications are made.
2. Make sure all of the fittings in the power steering system are tight.
3. Raise all steering tires off of the ground.
4. Fill reservoir with power steering fluid (NEVER use automatic transmission fluid). Leave the cap off of the reservoir.
5. Cycle the steering from lock to lock three or four times.
6. Check fluid level in reservoir. Refill as needed.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until a consistent level in the reservoir is reached.
8. Reconnect the battery. Replace the cap on the reservoir.
9. Start the vehicle and let it run without any steering input for 30 seconds.
10. Turn off engine.
11. Check and refill reservoir as needed, replacing cap when done.
12. Start engine and cycle steering from lock to lock 10-15 times.
13. Turn o the engine and let it stand for 10 minutes to allow air bubbles to work out of the system.
14. Repeat steps 11-14 until there are no air bubbles visible in the reservoir.
15. With the engine running, observe the fluid level in the reservoir. While looking in the reservoir,
turn off the engine. The fluid level should not change.
16. If the level does not change, check the system for leaks. If there are no leaks, test drive the
vehicle. If the level does change start over at step 4.

seanhill101

Happy New year everyone. I'm in a bind. I have had my psc steering go out on me due to the Teflon in the hose plugging the port on the steering box. Iv cleaned everything out and put it back to get her now. I only have atf on me and I need to drive about 800 miles before I get to a store with power steering oil. Do u think I'll be ok. Sitting in the middle of africa

Sent from my SM-G935F using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Happy New year everyone. I'm in a bind. I have had my psc steering go out on me due to the Teflon in the hose plugging the port on the steering box. Iv cleaned everything out and put it back to get her now. I only have atf on me and I need to drive about 800 miles before I get to a store with power steering oil. Do u think I'll be ok. Sitting in the middle of africa

Temporarily yes. ATF will cause the seals to leak over time, but to get you back it shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

The answer to this is always the wrong oil is better than no oil. Speaking in similar viscosity of course. So don't go putting gear oil in your engine in a bind [emoji848]. Just get where you have to go, and flush it out with the correct fluid as soon as possible.

And for those lucky enough to have a Summit Racing near by, last time I was there they had Swepco in stock and cheaper than I could find online.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom