Wider stance

BEE'S TWIN

The white jk on here? How did they get the stance so wide. I dig it!!! :) i really like the wider stance on the wranglers, but how do you do it with a d30 and ford 8.8 rear. I am running 33x12.50.15 right now. Is it bad to have the wide look?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
new wheels with less back spacing will give you a wider stance as would installing 1.25" wheel spacers. the only downside would be that you would put more leverage on your wheel bearings and that will cause them to wear out a bit sooner but, it wouldn't be enough to keep me from doing it.

BEE'S TWIN

Nice pic kaptkrappy!!! I just like the look of the wider stance so was not sure. I know the ford 8.8 already has to have spacers for my tj but i now might need something different. How long has wayalife been working on there jk to get it the way it is now. I know 4 wheeling is a hobby, but that rig is set-up.

StrizzyChris

Im sure ur talking about the most well known white JK online. That Jeep (moby) has wider axles than stock, wider wheels AND wheels with less back spacing. Ull have trouble getting that wide on stock axels, but spacers and less backspace is the closest ull get. Good luck on that D30!

BEE'S TWIN

I have the 8.8 in the rear and am getting the hp 30 with the upgraded shafts for the front. Moby is a really good looking jeep, looks like a ton of work into it. I was just wandering how they got so wide. Looks like he is running pro rock 60's under the jk. And super wide toyos.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the 8.8 in the rear and am getting the hp 30 with the upgraded shafts for the front. Moby is a really good looking jeep, looks like a ton of work into it. I was just wandering how they got so wide. Looks like he is running pro rock 60's under the jk. And super wide toyos.

yup, the full width prorock 60's, atx slab's with 3.5" of bs and 15.50 wide tires will give you that super wide stance. :crazyeyes:

Metalmasher

BEE'S TWIN said:

Moby has been a lot of inspiration to a lot of us! That is one bad a?$ jeep

sm31

Given the chance to go wider, is it a good idea?

Since all my wheeling is done in the mountains, it's the off-camber situations that make me (& especially wifey) nervous. I assume that a wider stance provides more stability, for lifted jeeps in particular. I suppose adding width could be problematic for someone in FL... I personally like the relatively wide stance my jeep has (3.5" backspacing), but I'm not sure whether there is a performance benefit.

Trail_Creeper

Since all my wheeling is done in the mountains, it's the off-camber situations that make me (& especially wifey) nervous. I assume that a wider stance provides more stability, for lifted jeeps in particular. I suppose adding width could be problematic for someone in FL... I personally like the relatively wide stance my jeep has (3.5" backspacing), but I'm not sure whether there is a performance benefit.

I dont see why adding the spacers or going full width would hurt people in FL. It doesn't matter where in the country you are the wider width makes the vehicle more stable in off camber situations and yes we do have those if FL.

I ran the spidertrax spacers on my TJ with the stock wheels, and i currently run 9" wide wheels with 4" backspacing on my XJ. The JK has the 1.5" spidertrax spacers sitting the garage waiting for the lift, tires, ande myself to arrive.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

wider will get your center of gravity down lower and thus, make you more stable. if there is a down side to going wider, it's that a lot of states won't allow it. also, you will put more stress on your wheel bearings but really, not enough to really matter.

StrizzyChris

Only problem i see u having in FL is in thick tree lined trails. Width=increased lateral stability but decreased lateral clearance on narrow trails

BEE'S TWIN

ordered my FT kit today. Be here soon:clap2:

What do you think about the 35 km2 vs 52 m/t kevlar?

Any suggestions?

Top Bottom