Knocking noise

Black Beaver

I need a little help guys. I have a knocking noise coming from the front of my 2014 jku. I have checked and torqued the bolts I could get to factory specs (shocks, track bar, control arms, wheels, drag link adj. bolts, even the driveshaft) but I'm still getting the noise. Nothing seems to be loose. Could it be a tie rod? I haven't gotten the wheels up to pull on them to check.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So you're pretty positive it's suspension related? Best of luck finding and fixing. Noises bug me also

JKWrang

Knocking noise is pretty vague. Try to identify when and what circumstances cause you to hear the sound. Let us know

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Really hard to say, I can't remember if the front sway bar links gave people problems or the rears on that kit. Look for missing paint where bolts come close to other stuff.

Black Beaver

Really hard to say, I can't remember if the front sway bar links gave people problems or the rears on that kit. Look for missing paint where bolts come close to other stuff.

I do have the Tera quick disco too. I can go check on them to see if that could be a problem.

jeeeep

Hooked
when does the knocking occur, turning, backing up, slow speed?
as mentioned, look for signs where there may be rubbing

Black Beaver

when does the knocking occur, turning, backing up, slow speed?
as mentioned, look for signs where there may be rubbing

I forgot to post back up. I figured out the problem. When I was in Moab last April I hit my factory air dam on some rocks and tore off two of the plastic tabs, I guess over the last few months it has gotten more loose and moving around when I would hit bumps or turn. So I took it off and the problem has gone away.

So you're pretty positive it's suspension related? Best of luck finding and fixing. Noises bug me also

You were right to second guess me olram30, it wasn't anything to do with the suspension. Thanks :clap2:

On a side note. It's not going to be bad to have that air dam off when going off road is it? Or on road for that matter. I wouldn't think that it would.

UpsideUp

Sorry tho thread steal bit I am having the same problem. I have started to notice a clunk sound coming from what sounds like driver side at slow speed when turn...such as pulling our of a parking space. I haven't retorqued the suspension lift but have had it on for the last year and a half. I have seen some say it could be ball joints going out but would that be unlikely with a rig with only 23k miles on them? Should I just start by torquing everything down?
On a side note...I have JKS disco's if that matters, as someone mentioned it in the thread.

Black Beaver

Sorry tho thread steal bit I am having the same problem. I have started to notice a clunk sound coming from what sounds like driver side at slow speed when turn...such as pulling our of a parking space. I haven't retorqued the suspension lift but have had it on for the last year and a half. I have seen some say it could be ball joints going out but would that be unlikely with a rig with only 23k miles on them? Should I just start by torquing everything down?
On a side note...I have JKS disco's if that matters, as someone mentioned it in the thread.

I would start where I did and torque everything down to factory specs, if that doesn't work then you know it's not suspension related, then just move on the something else, check tie rods, ball joints (as you suggested). Just start eliminating things out of the way.

UpsideUp

Thanks for the follow up. I think I'm going to take that advice. I have been putting it off because I broke my last torque wrench and haven't spent the money to replace it but I guess this gives me a reason.

Top Bottom