Regearing to 4.88's

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I have a question for you all; I have a 2010 JKU Islander. I am currently running 35 Cooper Discovery STT's, I am about to re-gear to 4.88's and was wondering what the best company was for gears. I still have the stock Axles, Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear.

Swapping axles is not an option, due to the fact I am stationed in Germany. I have been stationed in Europe for the last 16 years between Germany, Keflavik NAS, Iceland and England. Unfortunately USPS will not ship anything over 70lbs. The 3.73 are killing me on the autobahn, I have been dealing with it for the last 2 years and just found out I will be extended here another two years and might be retiring here. My wife is the Site Director for the University of Oklahoma on Spangdahlem AB. So after I retire she will be the bread winner, hahahaha!

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 126

Speeddmn

I have a question for you all; I have a 2010 JKU Islander. I am currently running 35 Cooper Discovery STT's, I am about to re-gear to 4.88's and was wondering what the best company was for gears. I still have the stock Axles, Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear.

Swapping axles is not an option, due to the fact I am stationed in Germany. I have been stationed in Europe for the last 16 years between Germany, Keflavik NAS, Iceland and England. Unfortunately USPS will not ship anything over 70lbs. The 3.73 are killing me on the autobahn, I have been dealing with it for the last 2 years and just found out I will be extended here another two years and might be retiring here. My wife is the Site Director for the University of Oklahoma on Spangdahlem AB. So after I retire she will be the bread winner, hahahaha!

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Man I miss Germany!

Also, for gears themselves you cant really go wrong since they are 99%'ish made in the same South Korean factory. One side stamps Yukon, one side stamps Richmond, motive, etc. Just make sure you get the maser install kits. Or complete overhaul kits, basically whatever kit has the most shims, bearings. If you are doing it yourself, and you order the basic kit you might be SOL if you need something from the other kit and need to wait on it.

Gears aren't super hard, just lots of time/math to get them set up. Good luck and enjoy!

For reasons mentioned above, I wouldn't concern yourself with the brand too much.

On another note.... 4.88s will help you get up to speed, but not go any faster (autobahn). In fact, I would be uncomfortable pushing more than about 75 MPH with 4.88s and 35s for very long due to the high engine RPMs. I would think the higher stock gears would actually be better at higher speeds. I know my 37s and 4.10 gears used to allow me to truck down the interstate far faster than I will go with my 5.13s.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
For reasons mentioned above, I wouldn't concern yourself with the brand too much.

On another note.... 4.88s will help you get up to speed, but not go any faster (autobahn). In fact, I would be uncomfortable pushing more than about 75 MPH with 4.88s and 35s for very long due to the high engine RPMs. I would think the higher stock gears would actually be better at higher speeds. I know my 37s and 4.10 gears used to allow me to truck down the interstate far faster than I will go with my 5.13s.

Yea, I don't do much more than 70-75 but man it is a bear when you hit a hill and rpm's jump to 4000. I am hoping it helps with RPM's and that is all. I didn't buy a Jeep to break any speed records, that is for sure. I am driving a brick.

BlackHawk08jk

Yea, I don't do much more than 70-75 but man it is a bear when you hit a hill and rpm's jump to 4000. I am hoping it helps with RPM's and that is all. I didn't buy a Jeep to break any speed records, that is for sure. I am driving a brick.

I have 35s and 4.88s and I run about 3k rpms at 85

For that I think you will be really happy with the 4.88s. That is the combo we have in my wife's Jeep and it's great. You are right, hills do suck on stock gears and larger tires :yup:

Top Bottom