Another Oil Question

ScottMc

The other thread about the 3.6 oil consumption problem has freaked me out a bit. I have a 2015 JK with 2500 miles on it right now. I understand that Jeeps have their quirks and that’s part of the fun, but buying a new engine after 50K or so miles, and being told by Jeep/Chrysler that this is normal, is pretty shocking to me. Honestly, if this is really happening then I think Jeep will be looking at a class action lawsuit pretty soon.

So, this all got me thinking back to the Jeep specified oil: 5W-20. I grew up in FL and live in GA now so I never much worried about the winter number, but I’ve never used a 20, that just seems really thin! I have seen it posted several times that Jeep specs the thinner oil to improve gas mileage at the expense of engine wear. Can any of you Jeep insiders definitively say this is true?

From the manual:

Engine Oil Viscosity — 3.6L Engine

MOPAR® SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to Chrysler
Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil®, Shell
Helix® or equivalent is recommended for all operating
temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature
starting and vehicle fuel economy.

The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment”
illustration in this section.

NOTE: MOPAR® SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil®,
Shell Helix® or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20
engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.

Note the note at the bottom: you can use 5W-30. To me this implies that using a 30 weight oil does not void any warranty, but I should also note that I’m no lawyer, and in my experience so far, legal decisions are for sale to the highest payer.

So boiling all that down, my real question is this: if this thinner oil really is for fuel consumption, is 30 weight better for the engine. I’m thinking of running 5W-30 Amsoil synthetic from here on out unless I find a compelling reason not to.

Anybody have an opinion on this?

Brent McCartney

It says improves low temperature starting. To me that would mean when it's cold outside. But I don't know. I have been running 5/30 in my wife's patriot with no issues never realized it said 5/20. I have 1460 miles on my JKU as well wanting to keep it running for more than 50k.

jeffro

I could be wrong but I think the problem was the earlier 07 through (forget when they changed motors). Both my 2014's JK's with the newer motor, one with 20000 miles and this one has 17700 miles and no oil issues.

Lets see what the other more knowledgeable guys have to say though.

ScottMc

jeffro

Ha! My bad, didn't notice you were a 'player' in that one. Multitasking is not my strong suite. :eek:

No worries, I don't multitask very well either. :)

I think your Jeep will be fine in the oil dept. but if it does go bad, I didn't do it :) I do know that we are not Chrysler's friends.

jesse3638

Hooked
I change my oil and filter on my 2012 JKU every 4K with mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-30 and haven't noticed any oil consumption. Just turned over 22K so I guess I'll be more diligent with checking my oil. If anything does happen hopefully that lifetime powertrain warranty I regret buying will pay for itself...:crazyeyes:

Heholua

What's really crazy is that Chrysler changed the viscosity from 5W-30 for the 2012s to 5W-20 for the 2013 and later models.

ScottMc

What's really crazy is that Chrysler changed the viscosity from 5W-30 for the 2012s to 5W-20 for the 2013 and later models.

That's exactly why I'm wondering if they did it for fleet fuel economy at the expense of engine life. They can run and test that for government numbers, but is it better for us consumers to run a better oil?

On the other hand though is that maybe the engineers are pretty smart and they did this for a reason?

It really comes down to who you trust and I have no hard facts one way or the other.

Heholua

That's exactly why I'm wondering if they did it for fleet fuel economy at the expense of engine life. They can run and test that for government numbers, but is it better for us consumers to run a better oil?

On the other hand though is that maybe the engineers are pretty smart and they did this for a reason?

It really comes down to who you trust and I have no hard facts one way or the other.

The sticker mileage has not changed from 2012-2015 though. Still the same 16 and 20.

I do agree, it is hard to know who to trust.

Lil Nasty

I change my oil and filter on my 2012 JKU every 4K with mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-30 and haven't noticed any oil consumption. Just turned over 22K so I guess I'll be more diligent with checking my oil. If anything does happen hopefully that lifetime powertrain warranty I regret buying will pay for itself...:crazyeyes:

This is exactly what I'm running. I bought my jeep with 16k miles and now have 55k miles. I haven't noticed any oil consumption but did ditch my CAI just to be sure. I usually experiment with my oils but after enough horror stories I'll just stick to what's been working.

Riley Moss

2013 wrangler 2 door sport manual I run 5w-30 full synthetic mobile 1 and have no burning issues and my odometer just rolled over to 42000 yesterday.

Top Bottom