Ouray Colorado, 4th of July....who's going?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
This will be our 7th annual Ouray 4th of July jeeping and camping trip. Unfortunately my lame buddies I usually jeep with sold their jeeps :crazy eyes: I'm looking to see if any WAL'fers are going to be in the area and want to hit a trail. I usually do Imogene Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Corkscrew, Black Bear (if open), Yankee boy, and Governor's Basin (if open), to name a few. We'll be there for a few days probably from July 1 through the 6th.

RDE2ROK

We plan on being there from the 1st thru the 8th. We have never been there but some friends go every year and talked us into going. If my jeep is not out of the shop this weekend we may have to cancel. These guys like to do some harder trails down in Montrose! Topless,Deathrow,Die trying... I will let you know this weekend if we're going.:thumb:

Last edited:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
We plan on being there from the 1st thru the 8th. We have never been there but some friends go every year and talked us into going. If my jeep is not out of the shop this weekend we may have to cancel. These guys like to do some harder trails down in Montrose! Topless,Deathrow,Die trying... I will let you know this weekend if we're going.:thumb:

sounds good :thumb: The trails in Ouray aren't technically challenging, but just scenic as hell. I'm a photographer so it's an ideal place to get some cool shots. The town is a fun place to visit especially during the 4th of July. We also go to Silverton and hit up the rum bar a few times while in the area.

CRAZYCASEY

John, your jeep better be ready!!!!

We will be there, pulling in around lunchtime on the 1st. A few of us will be staying at the Ouray KOA. We plan on running Imogene as soon as it opens, which currently looks like the 3rd of July. I know we have past each other there before, this is our 5th year spending the 4th there. We will be spending 2 days in montrose wheeling as well after the 4th but those will be some very tough trails.

Jackal01

sounds good :thumb: The trails in Ouray aren't technically challenging, but just scenic as hell. I'm a photographer so it's an ideal place to get some cool shots. The town is a fun place to visit especially during the 4th of July. We also go to Silverton and hit up the rum bar a few times while in the area.

What is different about Independence Day in Ouray?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
What is different about Independence Day in Ouray?

They have lots of activities going on along Main Street including street food vendors ( I always fill up on ribs), a fire truck waterhose fight (fun to watch from a balcony see everyone in crowds get soaked while having a cold brew) live music, jeep parade in evening followed by some spectacular fireworks. It's a festive atmosphere due to the amount of people that come into town

Jackal01

They have lots of activities going on along Main Street including street food vendors ( I always fill up on ribs), a fire truck waterhose fight (fun to watch from a balcony see everyone in crowds get soaked while having a cold brew) live music, jeep parade in evening followed by some spectacular fireworks. It's a festive atmosphere due to the amount of people that come into town

That sounds like a blast! :yup:

RDE2ROK

We will be there, pulling in around lunchtime on the 1st. A few of us will be staying at the Ouray KOA. We plan on running Imogene as soon as it opens, which currently looks like the 3rd of July. I know we have past each other there before, this is our 5th year spending the 4th there. We will be spending 2 days in montrose wheeling as well after the 4th but those will be some very tough trails.

Here is how ready I am right now Casey!
image.jpg

New tires, all gassed up and ready to go, except for one thing missing?:thinking:
I stopped there today and he still says it Will Be Ready on FRIDAY! :fingerscrossed:

CRAZYCASEY

I sure hope so. We get home late Monday and I have a lot of work to do to get ready. Gonna do a light shake down to test out the new resivoirs on the struts Saturday before we leave, if your up for it let me know.

RDE2ROK

I sure hope so. We get home late Monday and I have a lot of work to do to get ready. Gonna do a light shake down to test out the new resivoirs on the struts Saturday before we leave, if your up for it let me know.

If I get my jeep back this week I will be ready Sat 28th for a shakedown! I plan to put up the "Bat Signal" to all our brothers! Maybe Sat & Sun!:rock:

shawnrobison77

We are going the 17-23'sh!! We're driving from Ft Polk, LA all the way with some friends from Dallas. Wish I were able to go up for this trip too!

Last edited:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
A few pics from last year's camping trip to entice a few who might be thinking about going:

Home base first night:
ouray_2015-1.jpg

Couldn't resist buying because of the name:
ouray_2015-2.jpg

Not a bad view from campsite:
ouray_2015-3.jpg

ouray_2015-4.jpg

ouray_2015-5.jpg

ouray_2015-6.jpg

Jackal01

A few pics from last year's camping trip to entice a few who might be thinking about going:

Home base first night:
View attachment 149555

Nice tent!

DSCN3098_zpsa458831d.jpg

This will be our 7th annual Ouray 4th of July jeeping and camping trip. Unfortunately my lame buddies I usually jeep with sold their jeeps :crazy eyes: I'm looking to see if any WAL'fers are going to be in the area and want to hit a trail. I usually do Imogene Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Corkscrew, Black Bear (if open), Yankee boy, and Governor's Basin (if open), to name a few. We'll be there for a few days probably from July 1 through the 6th.

Sounds like a great vacation and adventure you're all heading to. Wish I could join in on it but got a project that is due soon and can't get away this year ...BUT I'll will be heading to live in Montrose in Sept. for the next year and a half to build a project there, so I'll be up there next summer with the Jeep!! Would love to get together then and run with you guys!!! I've read some articles on the Montrose trails and they sound killer! I'll hope to hear from you next summer! :thumb:

shawnrobison77

Home base first night:
View attachment 149555

Couldn't resist buying because of the name:
View attachment 149556

Not a bad view from campsite:
View attachment 149557

View attachment 149558

View attachment 149559

View attachment 149560

So beautiful! Looks like you had a great time!
Not sure if any of our guys even know the trails up there. Can anyone make recommendations? What's your opinion of camping and using a hotel while there?

BlackHat

We are going the 17-23'sh!! We're driving from Ft Polk, LA all the way with some friends from Dallas. Wish I were able to go up for this trip too!

I was stationed in FT Polk, you in the military? I was in the 2nd ACR , Artillery division, I drove a 5ton with a M-198 howitzer behind it. I miss the fishing around there, not to many rocky trails but plenty of sand and mud to go through.I loved it when I had to put the 5ton in 6 wheel drive to make it through the sandy areas where we would sink as soon as the front tires went in. Have a safe trip, and sorry didn't mean to hijack the tread.

shawnrobison77

I was stationed in FT Polk, you in the military? I was in the 2nd ACR , Artillery division, I drove a 5ton with a M-198 howitzer behind it. I miss the fishing around there, not to many rocky trails but plenty of sand and mud to go through.I loved it when I had to put the 5ton in 6 wheel drive to make it through the sandy areas where we would sink as soon as the front tires went in. Have a safe trip, and sorry didn't mean to hijack the tread.

No worries! I've been in for 18 years, I'm a Warrant Officer Maintenance Tech. I miss those ol' 5-tons!!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
It's with great sadness that I post that we will not be able to make our annual trek to Ouray this week. Our cat of 13 years has become very ill with what vet thinks is pancreatitis, a very nasty tricky disease to cure. He has lost about half his body weight and needs daily meds. We just didn't feel right leaving him alone for several days given his current state of health. It's very hard to accept that we will not make the trip as I look forward to this trip every year and it's the highlight of the year. Anyway, I hope you guys have a safe fun trip. We don't know how long our cat will be with us so we are spending as much time at home as we can.

dillard09

That's a bummer to hear about your cat! I too am a cat lover. I lost my cat (Paws) about 6 months ago. He was 17yo. I was in Texas at work and he was in Cali with the wife. He went down hill fast. Broke my heart to not be there! I'm like you, if he is fighting to be with you , you might as well be with him. Good luck!
I'll see ya soon Paws!

Top Bottom