Help! I've got a lot of stripped insulation on wiring.

deerhound

I really don't think I did this, but I have to accept the blame cause I don't have anyone else lined up, so I am the IDIOT. I am installing a Genesis Dual Battery kit on my 2014 JKUS. While wrestling with getting the old tray out I decided to go ahead and remove the fuse box. While I was unplugging the wiring from the box I noticed this:

20150617_185530.jpg

What can I do to fix this or do I need to tow it to the dealer and have a new harness installed?

Thanks

Dale

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You can buy liquid electrical tape. Provided that none of the actual wires are cut, I would "paint" on the liquid electrical tape to each wire so they have insulation again.

deerhound

Looks like the work of mice, if you need a new harness you may contact your insurance

Last summer I did find a nest under the hood that hadn't been there very long. With that much insulation stripped I am lucky the jeep didn't fry all the wiring.

Thanks for your insight.

deerhound

You can buy liquid electrical tape. Provided that none of the actual wires are cut, I would "paint" on the liquid electrical tape to each wire so they have insulation again.
I didn't see any cut wires so maybe that will work. I wonder if it will hold up to heat under the hood? Have you ever used it?

Dale

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I didn't see any cut wires so maybe that will work. I wonder if it will hold up to heat under the hood? Have you ever used it?

Dale

I haven't used it under the hood, but it should be fine. Go to Home Depot and check the stuff out. I'm sure it has a temp rating. You could always also wrap it in regular electrical tape and/or cover it in split loom for heat protection.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Dale

I haven't used it under the hood, but it should be fine. Go to Home Depot and check the stuff out. I'm sure it has a temp rating. You could always also wrap it in regular electrical tape and/or cover it in split loom for heat protection.

I would imagine it would be fine. It has to have a higher temp rating then the wire look that the wiring harness is wrapped in.

deerhound

Thanks for the help. I feel better at least knowing that there is a reason other than me doing something stupid. I have had a run of bad luck working on things and I was getting frustrated with every project I start getting more complicated that it should. I am going to get some of that liquid tape tomorrow and see how well it works. Worst case scenario is that at least i will be able to drive it to the dealer to replace the harness instead of needing a tow. Seems I lucked out finding this problem before it caused some real damage. I knew I could count on fellow Jeepers to help and I really appreciate it.

Dale

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm not going to lie, that liquid tape is not super easy to work with. Take your time and let it dry fully.

Also, I had to fight the install of the fuse box back onto the Genesis dual battery tray. For whatever reason, I had a hard time getting all of the wires back under and had to try a bunch of different ways of laying the wire down.

Just take your time. It's doable for sure...you just may have to screw with it a bit.

deerhound

Like a good neighbor, they are towing my jeep in to a body shop connected to my Jeep Dealer to replace harnesses and, do a thorough check of my wiring in case of other mouse damage, on Monday. Hope I get it back in working shape soon. Right now I have to finish installing the dual battery kit and buttoning up things properly so that the shop can tell what my electrical system is like. The body shop is one of the insurance companies select companies that they like to use and the insurance company guarantees their work and they are part of the same company that owns my dealer. Thanks again for the diagnosis and advice. You guys really came through for me.

Dale

Top Bottom