Gears suck!

gleno99

I screwed up! Believe people on here when they say changing gears are the hardest part of working on a jeep. Leave it to the pros. I bought 5:13 gears from NR. My dad who was a diesel mechanic, my cousin who specializes in diesel pickup trucks, and I thought we could handle it. Apparently not! The gears are a little off. Apparently the tolerances on a jeep are tighter than big trucks. There is a clicking sound when coasting. I'm at an axle shop now waiting for them to look at it. I'll follow up with exactly needs to be fixed. So, save your time and money and drive to Colorado or Cali to get the $1000 gear change. It's probable going to cost me quite a bit more now.

So he winged the tolerances? Anyone that knows how to do gears should know how important it is to follow the specs. (And they were included in the box with the R&P set.) JKs do have higher bearing pre-load than most other domestic differentials, but other than that it's a fairly straight forward set-up.

I'm sorry you are having issues....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that. Gears are pretty much one of the few things I prefer to have the pros do for me.

Sessoms14X

That sounds like a nightmare. I personally do not trust anyone around me (in Northwest Iowa) to change my gears. When I do it I'll be headed to Trail Jeeps to have them do it :thumbup:

gleno99

So a guy at a shop test drive it. He doesn't think it's the gears because it's not always making a noise. However, he didn't have time to open the diff up today. So I will be back tomorrow. So it may not be as bad as I expected. Hopefully.

t8er

So a guy at a shop test drive it. He doesn't think it's the gears because it's not always making a noise. However, he didn't have time to open the diff up today. So I will be back tomorrow. So it may not be as bad as I expected. Hopefully.

You can do gears at home it just takes a while. Glad he doesn't think it's how they're meshing. Definitely be interested to hear. I did 5.13's and I was warned by some about gear whine etc and so far no issues

gleno99

Yesterday the shop didn't do anything but drive it. Took it back today. The front was setup fine. The back needed help. The gears were fine just needed shims moved or whatever. The rear locker sensor was bent. It's all good now. Cost me $360. I didn't think that was too bad. It could have been a lot more. So, I'm done with changing gears. My wife is tired of hearing about it. My thought, "leave it to the pros". Y'all have a great day!

gleno99

You can do gears at home it just takes a while. Glad he doesn't think it's how they're meshing. Definitely be interested to hear. I did 5.13's and I was warned by some about gear whine etc and so far no issues

The 100 miles I have driven with the new 5:13's, there is no more noise than before. The tires drown out everything anyway. I can't wait till the break in is over so I can nail the throttle. Just letting off the brake and it starts rolling is a good thing.

gleno99

Well today I realized I didn't install the locker sensors correctly. Apparently it's very common to not install them correctly, unless the installer is experienced with jeeps with lockers. I added washers to bring them out a little so they won't hit the locker ring thing. I'll fix them right later. From what I read, the lockers should work, but the lights will flash instead of staying on. This is for anyone thinking they want to install their own gears. There are a lot of components to the install.

The sensors must be installed before the carrier goes in. The front carrier can usually be installed without pulling the plunger out, but a dowel or something must be used to hold the rear sensor out while the carrier is installed. I'm sorry to deliver bad news but it looks like you will be opening the diffs and pulling the carriers again.

gleno99

The sensors must be installed before the carrier goes in. The front carrier can usually be installed without pulling the plunger out, but a dowel or something must be used to hold the rear sensor out while the carrier is installed. I'm sorry to deliver bad news but it looks like you will be opening the diffs and pulling the carriers again.

I saw the thread from March 2014, you were taking part in, that explained this. I wish I had seen it earlier. Live and learn. I added washers for now until I decide to fix it right. Thanks for the info.

tech180

LOSER
Try setting up used gears on a dana 60! Now that will drive a man insane! I wish they would build all axles like 14bolts (No carrier shims). I don't mind doing gears in a 14bolt at all.

Try setting up used gears on a dana 60! Now that will drive a man insane! I wish they would build all axles like 14bolts (No carrier shims). I don't mind doing gears in a 14bolt at all.

I hear you! A Chrysler 8.25 is similar and way easier to set up as well.

Top Bottom