Wisdom regarding changing axle lube

luggw1

I've been taking my 2014 JK Rubi to the stealership for oil changes, partly because I'm lazy and partly because it's good documentation for the extended warranty that's on it. It passed 25K miles a little while ago and they've started pushing a change of lube in the front and rear axles and the T-Case to the tune of about $250.

Frankly, I've never done this on a vehicle before. What is the collective wisdom regarding this practice? I'm embarrassed to say that it hasn't been off-road yet (except that we live on a dirt road, and then there was the time I got it stuck in the mud on our property) and the axles have never been under water.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Bill Lugg

07JKSahara

Yeah, super easy. I was nervous the first time because it's a Dd, done it so many times I think I could do it blindfolded. Just make sure you have everything first in case you don't have a second car for store runs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been taking my 2014 JK Rubi to the stealership for oil changes, partly because I'm lazy and partly because it's good documentation for the extended warranty that's on it. It passed 25K miles a little while ago and they've started pushing a change of lube in the front and rear axles and the T-Case to the tune of about $250.

Frankly, I've never done this on a vehicle before. What is the collective wisdom regarding this practice? I'm embarrassed to say that it hasn't been off-road yet (except that we live on a dirt road, and then there was the time I got it stuck in the mud on our property) and the axles have never been under water.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Bill Lugg

$250 for all of it isn't that bad for a dealership BUT, you can do it for a LOT less if you do it yourself. The following write-ups will help you out.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...K-Wrangler-Differential-Fluid-Change-Write-Up

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...rangler-NV-241-NV-241OR-Transfer-Case-Service

That being said, you should be more on the schedule B plan being that you haven't been off roading your Jeep and really, you wouldn't need to service anything until about 30,000. You could probably double that but, I wouldn't recommend it.

JKWrang

250 for all 3 is not bad at all. Gear oil is expensive but not that expensive. Its a good deal for a dealership

luggw1

Thanks for the info folks. I think I'll do this myself and save a few bucks. The links help a lot.

Bill

Top Bottom