Rubicon Spring/Shock lift on a Sport - Control Arm torque

ThatguyJZ

I've read some varying opinions on multiple forums regarding the installation of Rubicon Spring/Shocks on non-Rubi Jeeps. On our Jeep I went from factory sport 14/55 coils to 17/59 Rubi coils and red Rubi shocks. This netted right around 1.5 inches of lift front and rear. On installation I loosened the frame side track bar bolts front and rear and then re-torqued them to spec post install with the vehicle sitting level on the ground. Is it absolutely necessary to do the same for the control arms for what is essentially a stock lift of this height?

If I was doing an aftermarket 2 inch or 2.5 lift, I could see the need and would go thru the motions to loosen and re-torque all the control arms mainly due to the increased lift height. But 1.5" gain from swapping stock coils, am I really killing my stock bushings?

Thanks!

07JKSahara

Probably not completely necessary but I would because it's relatively easy. You just want them torqued at ride height. Maybe a matter of opinion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've read some varying opinions on multiple forums regarding the installation of Rubicon Spring/Shocks on non-Rubi Jeeps. On our Jeep I went from factory sport 14/55 coils to 17/59 Rubi coils and red Rubi shocks. This netted right around 1.5 inches of lift front and rear. On installation I loosened the frame side track bar bolts front and rear and then re-torqued them to spec post install with the vehicle sitting level on the ground. Is it absolutely necessary to do the same for the control arms for what is essentially a stock lift of this height?

If I was doing an aftermarket 2 inch or 2.5 lift, I could see the need and would go thru the motions to loosen and re-torque all the control arms mainly due to the increased lift height. But 1.5" gain from swapping stock coils, am I really killing my stock bushings?

Thanks!

If you really gained 1.5" of lift from Rubicon springs AFTER they've settled, I'd be surprised. AT MOST, I have only seen maybe 1/2" or less but, that's just me. That being said, no, it is not necessary to loosen and then retighten your control arm bolts. At worst, your bonded rubber bushings will have a pre-load on them and that will effect your ride quality. As far as killing them goes, clevite bushings are a lot tougher than that.

ThatguyJZ

If you really gained 1.5" of lift from Rubicon springs AFTER they've settled, I'd be surprised. AT MOST, I have only seen maybe 1/2" or less but, that's just me. That being said, no, it is not necessary to loosen and then retighten your control arm bolts. At worst, your bonded rubber bushings will have a pre-load on them and that will effect your ride quality. As far as killing them goes, clevite bushings are a lot tougher than that.

Thanks for the peace of mind,

The springs I installed had approx 9k miles on them, so I assume they are settled. They came from a 4 door Rubi. Admittedly there was not that big of a difference in actual spring height between the old and the new. Measurements were taken from center of hub (ish) to bottom of fender with the original 16" rims before and after.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the peace of mind,

The springs I installed had approx 9k miles on them, so I assume they are settled. They came from a 4 door Rubi. Measurements were taken from center of hub (ish) to bottom of fender with the original 16" rims before and after.

Measure it again in a month and tell me it's the same. The diagram below will show you what stock height is. A new measurement here will show you what you really have.

attachment.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha, I've seen that diagram before. I didn't measure that way and yeah, doubt I gained 1.5 there.

Don't get me wrong, the coils you have now are still nicer, just trying to put things into perspective for others who are new to the world of Jeeps.

Top Bottom